Topic: Discovery: Its a Standard!

Ketronj281989    -- 10-20-2020 @ 5:19 PM
  I have been deep in book study and have been physically combing over the car quite a bit lately. I made a discovery I severely overlooked prior to purchase and now ownership of my 1936 Ford Touring Sedan.

On top of sporting a black steering column, black shift knob, three number trip odometer, lack of deluxe window garnish, lack of deluxe curved exterior door handles, I have discovered an issue with the rear tail lights. Take a look at the rear pass. side. Upon removal of the pass rear tail lamp, I found quite a few drilled holes.

With all of the newly found evidence stated above, I am of the opinion someone added the pass. tail-lamp a long time ago. With these new findings including those cosmetics mentioned above it would seem what I really have is a standard made into a deluxe a long time ago.

Could I please get your expert opinion and analysis? Findings will change how I proceed with service, cosmetic restoration.

Thanks,

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Tudor Touring Sedan

Barney    -- 10-20-2020 @ 5:41 PM
  I believe you arrived at the correct solution. My 1940 Standard has only one taillight. Also, it has only one sun visor.
Barney

3w2    -- 10-20-2020 @ 6:18 PM
  If you're going to drive the car at all, it is a heck of a lot safer with two tail lights than the single one it left the factory with.

39 Ken    -- 10-21-2020 @ 4:40 AM
  In addition to what 3w2 said regarding safety, you should know that your '36 may have been delivered with two tail lights. Two tailights were required on all cars in Pennsylvania and some other states as well. I don't know if it was a factory or dealer installation.

Also, since you plan on driving your '36 a fair amount, I would consider a third brake light (preferably an LED) mounted in the back window. Drivers these days don't seem to notice the lower brake lights (ask Supereal how he knows this), but they are more apt to see the bright LED's mounted up high. These "third brake lights" can be removed for show purposes. Here is a link to a supplier.

https://www.brakelighter.com/

I am enjoying your progress on your '36. All the best with it.

Ken

woodiewagon46    -- 10-21-2020 @ 8:24 AM
  39 Ken, thank you for posting the LED third brake light info. I'm going to purchase one for my '32 and one for my '46.

therunwaybehind    -- 10-21-2020 @ 9:22 AM
  Not wishing to go against all the emotion, yet, my grand father showed me the way. Dodge is who pioneered the brake light and especially the one in the middle of the trunk that appeared on the 1949, Dodge, Desoto and Plymouth. Ford and the Dodge Brothers parted company in the early days of Edsel as a partner in Ford as he grew up. For this reason I am also leery of the Walker Fords from Canada beginning in 1949.

Raising the value of the stock or investing in a new design? Don't guess, this is known. My grandfather always bought a new Ford big truck every 6 years but he subjected the panel truck to competition between Ford and Dodge every 6 years but three years out of synchronicity with the big truck buys. He owned a lot of Bethlehem Steel stock.

He kept 20 dollar pieces even after that was illegal and had a counterfeit silver dollar made of lead and plated with a hole he made in it with an ice pick. My grandmother had been cheated with it on her train trip to the Pan American Exhibition in 1915 in San Francisco. They got married after that when she came back after visiting Yellowstone and Glacier National Park.

At the Horace Dodge Meadowbrook mansion Classic Car Show one year (1998) I looked at the two very large clear blank rear lights on the bumper of a Duesenberg, "Where are the tail lights?" The owner standing nearby very angrily answered. "When you step on the brake a red set of letters lights up, 'STOP'"

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 10-21-20 @ 9:24 AM

JayChicago    -- 10-21-2020 @ 3:08 PM
  Jon
Vexing development. I know you wanted to eventually get your car to 100% correct, but now find you have a hybrid Standard/Deluxe.

If it was my car, I would just get it roadworthy and enjoy it as is for now, and deal with bringing it up to totally correct at some later date. Most all of our cars have been changed to varying degrees by previous owners in their 80+ year history. Doesn’t stop us from enjoying them. The changes are part of the car’s history. You can get into point judging, if you want, later.

Ketronj281989    -- 10-22-2020 @ 12:58 PM
  Thank you Barney. Someone had previously added a passenger side sun visor. Thank you for the information. Something I will need to address once I start on the interior.

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 10-22-2020 @ 12:59 PM
  3w2,

I agree! Thank you for your input and response.

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 10-22-2020 @ 1:08 PM
  Ken,

Thank you for your response, you bring up a great point. I know for a fact this car had remained in OH it's entire life. I don't know what OH law requires. If this were a factory or dealer installation, it was poorly done. The wire harness on the car is the factory original, the rear area where the taillights reside appears to had been updated and spliced into the original frame rail loom several decades ago. A previous owner could of installed it for safe driving, this merely my opinion though. LED's would be a good idea. Should I ask what happened Supereal?

Thank you for the comments on the 1936 servicing. Plenty more updates to come soon.

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 10-22-2020 @ 1:57 PM
  therunwaybehind,

The technology has changed, yet the same principles remain!

Jon Ketron

This message was edited by Ketronj281989 on 10-23-20 @ 3:46 PM

Ketronj281989    -- 10-22-2020 @ 2:11 PM
  JayChicago,

Indeed a vexing development. I would like to take the car to 100% correct, although find myself unable to make a decision. You see, I really wanted a deluxe car from the get go and thought this would be it, shame on me for not taking time to study prior to purchasing. Very happy with this car though, so no negative thoughts on my part.

I may take the car's exterior and interior back to a standard to pay homage to what this car was out of the factory back in 1936. I am still at an impasse as what to do with the tail-light. The entire front end of the car has since been disassembled.

Long term storage has taken a great toll on this vehicle. In order to daily drive the car, or at least make a safe and successful trip in it I will have to do some major tune-up work. In the process of making these plans for the coming winter months, garage just about set up for the several "big" jobs with include dropping the pan and servicing other engine items.

Really appreciate your input and guidance!

Jon Ketron

This message was edited by Ketronj281989 on 10-23-20 @ 3:45 PM

wmsteed    -- 10-23-2020 @ 10:08 AM
  Is there a re-enforcing plate, attached to the tail light bolts and the side of the body?
My '36 is a Deluxe and has the re-enforcing plate under the right side tail light.
If the light was added by a Ford dealer to comply with the local state law it would be logical that the light assembly would have come with the re-enforcing plate, however, if the holes are miss-drilled then that would imply that the work was done by a novice, in lieu of a factory trained mechanic.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

therunwaybehind    -- 10-23-2020 @ 12:10 PM
  I see several questions over the months about fluids but no one ever asks how to accomplish such tasks as adding fluid to the transmission or rear end. Improvised tools like a turkey baster or pastry cone are the kinds of things someone might get from a well stocked kitchen. Cleanup then poses the issue of disposing of the flushing fluids even if they are just hot water and Wisk. What is in the auto parts store now other than Gunk? How about the filler tools? You can use a measuring cup either metal or glass to determine how much. After a rebuild the use might be tedious but would get it done in place. A wineskin? A bit expensive. Pig's bladders like an artist might use for paints? Yeah, and a cartridge grease gun for the zerks to be able to see when the applicator is almost or totally empty. If you always use professional service like for a new car this post is nonsense.

ken ct.    -- 10-23-2020 @ 3:17 PM
  Accually the standards are more rare than the deluxe's. That said tranny an RE have plugs in side of them for filling. Tranny can also be filled from the top after removing the long shifter stick. Unscrew the shinny sheet metal cover and dont drop the steel pin there in the tranny. ken ct 1-203-260-9780 Recently sold a 36 coupe i drove over 50,000 MI over the span of 32 years also a standard turned into a deluxe as yours. ken ct

Ketronj281989    -- 10-23-2020 @ 3:54 PM
  Bill,

No re-enforcing plate's on the rear end. I really feel this was a job completed by a novice over 30 years ago. The bolts that held in the passenger side tail-lamp arm were rusted together. Thank you for your input here and also on the other topic regarding the grille.

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Standard Tudor Touring Sedan

Ketronj281989    -- 10-23-2020 @ 3:59 PM
  Ken,

Thank you for your response. I can see what you mean by your comment regarding the rarity of the standards. I have found fewer examples upon my internet research. Thanks for the info on the transmission. I was wondering about that strange hole on the side!

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 10-23-2020 @ 4:11 PM
  After thinking long and hard, with the support of several club members I have decided to make this car a true factory correct standard just as it once was new back in 1936.

I will be removing several items on the car that once made it a make shift "deluxe". Exterior features will all be returned to standard configuration per the club book, this includes painting the radiator grille, windshield trim, and windshield wiper arm/wiper holder (currently missing a correct original/reproduction)

The facts and new findings of the car speak volumes as to what it was originally back in 1936. I don't think there is any question or doubt regarding. We will take it back to standard. This will not be a frame off restoration. I will leave the older body re-paint/touch up paint on the car. The interior will need little for now, I will just remove the waterfall and passenger side sun visor. Everything else interior is already set, plain window garnish, no rear window shade, butler nickel interior door lever/window cranks. This car really shouldn't need much cosmetically to take it back to it's origins.

Jon Ketron

kirkstad    -- 10-25-2020 @ 10:17 AM
  I can understand why you would like to return your 36 back to standard, however, I would strongly suggest that you keep the extra tail light, since many states at that time required it anyway. My 36 is a standard with the extra tail light someone added years ago I guess and it made it easy for me to add turn signals. I also added a LED third brake light in the rear window and three point seatbelts. These additions would be for your safety and your family's as well, the car too of course.
You have a beautiful car!
Frank

Ketronj281989    -- 10-25-2020 @ 5:07 PM
  Frank,

Thank you for your response. I see what you saying about safety and I completely agree. I will have to see about viable tail lamp options. I have decide to fill in the holes and have body work performed on the rear right pass. side fender. Will this make extra work down the road yes, I just cant live with a sloppy lop sided tail lamp, it does not compliment the car in my opinion. Perhaps extra LED's as you suggest. Modern motorist these days just don't expect an 80+ year old car driving down the road today! Need to be safe as you mention, thanks for the pointers.

Jon Ketron

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-26-2020 @ 8:16 AM
  HI
I looked in a FORD PARTS MANUAL,
its says LH tail light stand part # 68-13471
RH Bracket is part # 68-13472-C model 740 with trunk
you might have 2 LH brackets making it look off,
it all depended how many taillights
in which state the car was sold and what the laws were at that time,
I would think the dealer had to comply with state laws before selling the car,
Deluxe cars used a banjo steering wheel and a 4 digit speedometer .From 1936 to 1939
which is just 2 of the differences,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 10-28-20 @ 12:03 PM

trjford8    -- 10-29-2020 @ 9:26 AM
  If you decide to have turn signals as an added safety device you will need the right side tailight. In todays world turn signals are almost a necessity. Some states may require them.

Ketronj281989    -- 10-31-2020 @ 12:50 PM
  Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments and input. I will need to brainstorm how I will tackle the pass. side rear tail-lamp. I may decided to remove it permanently to remain within the confines of a stock standard car.

Jon Ketron

camsaure    -- 11-03-2020 @ 6:42 PM
  I wouldn't remove the extra sun visor either as the car could have been ordered with it or even dealer installed.

mfirth    -- 11-04-2020 @ 4:58 AM
  PLEASE think twice about removing that tail light ! I have come close to being "rear ended" twice with my 52 Ford and the tail lights are at the top of the fender; work well & bright. Folks 2day can't drive without their #$)^^$@ PHONE.
Dealer installed items are O K ..........
mike

Mr Rogers    -- 11-05-2020 @ 11:57 AM
  I attended a drive-in car show last year. A 30's something car installed turn signals by threading wiring from column to trunk area and attaching mag tized red lights when he would drive the car. No drilled holes, just snuck the wires thru the side trunk lid.

krwilson5    -- 11-17-2020 @ 11:17 AM
  Hi Jon. it looks like you have scored a very nice 1936 tudor touring sedan and from your description it appears to be a standard with an extra taillight and sun visor, very cool! My wife also has a standard touring sedan we call Rosemary. We have enjoyed Rosemary for nearly twenty-five years driving her to many national meets and displaying her in the Rouge class. We added the second taillight very early on in addition to seat belts for safety sake and we don't feel that we have compromised the car in doing so. I don't remember what the point deduction is for the additional light, if any, but doubt that it would kill the car if the restoration is well executed.

It is you car so you can restore it either deluxe or standard and it will be beautiful. Personally I would reinstall the second taillight properly either way. We like the fact that the our car is a standard partially because they are less common at the national meets and because that's the way it came from the factory and who knows just maybe the dealer installed that optional light.

There is lots to know about these things, running changes and the like. For instance significant changes to the interior were made around May of 36. If you don't already have it, you really should get a copy of the 1935-36 Early Ford V8 book. Like all the clubs published works is excellent.

Steve Kennedy    -- 11-17-2020 @ 5:04 PM
  Bill, 36 5 win delx cpe,
Could you please post a picture of the bracket that you are talking about. I bought one from Mac and it don't fit any of the bolts.
Steve 36 5 window with rumble seat

c-gor    -- 11-19-2020 @ 6:30 AM
  For what it is worth. I had a 1940 Ford Standard that was purchased and registered in Ohio.

Ohio law stated, at that time, that a vehicle requires one stop/tail light with a reflector.

I drove my car for over 50 years with the one tail light that was compulsory by Ohio law.

Turn signals were required on all new cars purchased beginning 1/1953. Earlier years were "grandfathered" in.

Ketronj281989    -- 11-26-2020 @ 2:43 PM
  camsaure,

Thank you for your response. I will re-evaluate my position on the sun visors, you bring up some great points to consider.

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 11-26-2020 @ 2:45 PM
  mfirth,

Appreciate your word of caution!

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 11-26-2020 @ 2:47 PM
  Mr Rogers,

Thank you for sharing this info. I may see about installing a similar set up on this car once completed.

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 11-26-2020 @ 2:52 PM
  krwilson5,

Thank you for providing your input. I procured a copy of the club's 35/36 book upon my summer purchase of the car. What a great reference it has been for restoration thus far. I have seen few standards with respect to all pre-war Ford V8 years. I am looking forward to taking this car back to it's stock configuration. The "second" tail-light was installed in a sloppy manner. If I were to re-do, body work to the fender would ensue prior to mounting the lamp arm.

Thanks,

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 11-26-2020 @ 2:54 PM
  c-gor,

Thank you for your response, great information. I need to look further into KY and OH law. These are the two states I typically travel in.

Jon Ketron

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14264