Topic: Original 1936 grille?

Ketronj281989    -- 10-20-2020 @ 5:05 PM
  Question to pose to you all please. I have recently removed the radiator grille on my 1936 car as I start to take down the front end for service. I am having trouble figuring out if what I have is an original 1936 grille or a reproduction. Someone put some sort of green mold or tape that can be pulled off on the inside of the grille. Very sloppy job overall, I am planning to get this item re-chromed and wanted to make sure all of my ducks are in a row before investing.

What's your evaluation regarding please?

Thanks

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Tudor Touring Sedan

Ketronj281989    -- 10-20-2020 @ 5:06 PM
  Several more pictures

Jon Ketron

G Tosel    -- 10-20-2020 @ 8:05 PM
  It appears that this is an original 36 Ford one piece stamped grille. The green "tape" might have been a plastic type coating applied to the back side of the grille bars to possibly prevent rust. I would carefully remove all this material before sending to the plater. The bottom of the grille looks like it has some surface rust or rough finish. You should ask the plater if this grille should be first stripped of all old chrome and repaired before the plating is done. If you do not want to finish that surface, the plater can do it, but it will be part of the cost of plating, which now days if very high.

3w2    -- 10-21-2020 @ 12:31 PM
  Yep, the real deal and being the one-piece stamping version, the best version to have re-plated.

Ketronj281989    -- 10-22-2020 @ 12:48 PM
  Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your responses. This is great news. My plans are to have the metal repaired, then chrome plated. I have realized I will need to paint both side edges to match the body paint. It would seem the apple green pinstripe will also need to be added to each side too thus completing the full pin strip on the car.

Jon Ketron

wmsteed    -- 10-23-2020 @ 10:21 AM
  The standard '36 Fords all came with a painted grille with stainless steel trim. Don't waste the money to have it chrome plated. If you do decide to have the grille chrome plated, keep in mind that an original chrome grille has a muted finish on the side portion of the bars, where-as the leading edges are bright chrome.
The sides of the grille, from the edge where the stainless trim goes to the hood panels were painted body color.
My '36 coupe has it's original chrome grille that has never been out of the car. I am the second owner, have owned the car since 1952.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 10-23-2020 @ 11:28 AM
  Reviewing the pix of your grille tells me that the work done on the grille was done by an unskilled repair person. Hard to say what the purpose of the green ?? was for.
The use of rusty bolts/fasteners to attach the stainless trim is also very suspect.
I have always found it to be very interesting that very few Standard cars get restored, I guess most people don't like second class items.
You might consider doing the car as what it was, people that know car's will generally pick up on the fact that the car is/was not a Delux car.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Ketronj281989    -- 10-23-2020 @ 4:20 PM
  Bill,

Thanks for your comments and pointers regarding the cosmetics of the radiator grille. I didn't realize the original chrome grille's had a muted finish on the side portions of the bars. As a matter of fact, this grille on my car currently has this very feature present.

Thanks for your comments regarding thoughts on what to do with the car moving forward.

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Standard Tudor Touring Sedan

wmsteed    -- 10-24-2020 @ 8:53 AM
  Jon, It could be that your car has an original Ford chrome grille, which would not be correct for a Standard car. It could be that the car was in an accident some time in the past and the owner opted to replace the grille with a Ford chrome grille. There is nothing in the serial number and/or the body number to prove or disprove if the car is a Standard or Delux.
Or maybe a previous owner set out to decoy/clone the car into a Delux to enhance it's value.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Ketronj281989    -- 10-25-2020 @ 5:00 PM
  Bill,

You bring up some great points. I don't think it is viable to spray body paint over chrome is it? I may need to see about finding an original steel painted grille that will accept body paint as intended originally, same goes for the horn grilles too need steel examples.

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Standard Tudor Touring Sedan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14263