Topic: 33 Ford rumble seat cover.

Gary M.    -- 10-20-2020 @ 4:58 PM
  Hi all, we are restoring a 33 Ford 3 window coupe at my shop. The owner stripped and blasted all the parts and sent them to us in very rough shape. We want to recreate the bottom of the rumble seat cover but we're not sure what the outer edge of the bottom should look like. We think that the bottom outer edge should be rounded about the same as a pencil . Can anyone advise or post pics ? Our body man squared it off but we know that's not right.
Thanks....

This message was edited by Gary M. on 10-20-20 @ 5:01 PM

3w2    -- 10-20-2020 @ 6:14 PM
  If you mean the attachment of the outer skin of the rumble lid to the inner lid panel, it's a simple flat overlaying crimp the thickness of three layers of the sheet metal. The lower corners are squared; no pencil shape anywhere..

Gary M.    -- 10-21-2020 @ 3:24 AM
  This is a rough sketch of what I mean. We're not sure if the edge is rounded over or how much of a radius. Thanks...

3w2    -- 10-21-2020 @ 12:24 PM
  The finished deck or rumble lid (they are the same except for how they are hinged and latched) with its edges crimped over the inner lid panel occupies only the opening in the main car body (with obvious clearance on all four sides) and nothing more. There is no roll or curl to the bottom like that shown in your sketch.

Gary M.    -- 10-22-2020 @ 1:51 PM
  Ok, thanks for your input, very helpful !!

3w2    -- 10-23-2020 @ 6:10 AM
  Gary,

Please accept my apology for relying on my memory rather than actually looking at a rumble/deck lid as upon looking, the bottom edge does indeed have a slightly angled horizontal edge rather than a continuation of the curvature of the lid to bottom edge. It is slight, perhaps 15 degrees and only 1/8" in width (half the width of that on a '32 lid), but present nonetheless. Sorry for misleading you.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14262