Topic: Where to purchase 600 x 16 Wide White Wall Tires?

RAK402    -- 10-14-2020 @ 8:25 AM
  I am getting ready to get my 1940 Fordor Deluxe painted.

I realized that the last time I put new tires on it was 1978...they are not close to being worn out, but way too old to be safe (I think).

I want to keep with bias ply tires.

Any suggestions on where to purchase them? I am looking at replacing all five.

Thank you all in advance.

51woodie    -- 10-14-2020 @ 8:54 AM
  I bought a set of 600:16 wide white Firestone bias tires for my '46 Coupe from Universal Tire in Hershey PA. I don't know where you are located, but if you are near there, it is worth the trip to have then do the install. I loaded my cleaned rims in our SUV and drove down from Ontario, in part to avoid the customs fees if I was in the US for 48 hours, but also to see the shop. My appointment was for 8:00 am, and they were waiting for me. Their service was excellent, and they allowed me to observe the installs. From that, I learned that anything (dirt or labels) inside the tire or on the tube, will eventually cause a flat. They wiped and vacuumed the inside of each tire. When the Techs finished the install and balancing, they gave me advice on which location the wheels should be installed on the car. Wheel with most weights - RR, next - LR, next RF then LF. I have had the tires on for 3 years, no problems and no flats.

I know you will get a few comments about bias vs radial, but the bias work for me, and that was the way Henry built it. Although WW's were not factory as I understand it.

Barney    -- 10-14-2020 @ 9:04 AM
  Hi RAK,
I have a '40 Fordor. I bought four 6.50x16 blackwall tires (and tubes) from Coker back in April, 2020. I'm happy with the tires and their look; have the old 'piecrust' feature. I realize you're looking for wide whites and only 6.00x16s. Bottom line price was $982 for four tires and four tubes, including shipping (which was a rip-off). I'm guessing Coker keeps a chunk of that. BTW, they're easy to install if you use lube and good tire irons.
Barney

pinnsky    -- 10-14-2020 @ 12:02 PM
  Check out Summit Racing. I bought tires for my A and 36 from them. Coker and Firestone without a charge for delivery. Saved a lot!

kubes40    -- 10-14-2020 @ 6:14 PM
  RAK402, I like Coker. If you join the HAMB, you get 10% off Coker orders.
I might suggest you go with 6:50 x 16. They are concourse correct - being an option in 1940.
In my opinion, they fill up the wheel wells so much nicer than the 600's.
They are about 1 1/2" taller and 3/4" wider.
I have installed them on each and every one of my restorations.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 10-15-2020 @ 8:20 AM
  I believe that Coker makes the majority of the bias ply tires sold today. There are some made in New Zealand and I would not buy them, the whitewalls turn yellow and you cannot clean them.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-15-2020 @ 10:33 AM
  I bought wide whites for my '47 some time ago, and one of the four was out of round. I contacted Coker, and they said that I must have mounted it wrong. I let them know I have been mounting tires in our shop for well over fifty years, and I did, in fact, know how to do it, and the other three tires were OK. They replaced the offending tire, and all was well.

TomO    -- 10-16-2020 @ 8:21 AM
  I never understood why vendors use people that give dumb answers on their customer lines. "ou must have mounted them wrong" ranks up there with "you are the first to report this problem, are you sure you installed it right" when you call about trunk supports that don't hold up the trunk lid or the water pump belts that are 2" too short five years after the product was released.

They should just own up and send you a replacement.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-20-2020 @ 11:23 AM
  I agree, Tom. That is why we deal mostly with C&G. I have been accused of fronting for them, but I have no connection, other than experience. Finding a vendor that actually knows what they are selling is very rare today. I found that out many years ago when trying to deal with an outfit in Oklahoma. At our shop we deal with a wide variety of vehicles, and when we find a reliable source, we stick with them. Years ago, most counter men at parts houses were retired mechanics, and knew their business. Today, we have to send back many parts that are incorrect, costing valuable time.

kubes40    -- 10-20-2020 @ 12:13 PM
  Oh Robert, I have to tell you of my recent experience at the local NAPA. I'd gone there for a replacement starter for a '46 Ford I am working on with a small block Chevy.
I had cleaned up the numbers on the starter body, brought the starter to Napa and asked for a replacement. Kid asks "what's it from?". I answer "you tell me".
He looks at me with confusion all over hos face. I tell him to look it up , here's the numbers.
"Oh" says the kid.
A week later here's the starter. Not the right one of course but a starter.

The same kid (mid twenties) looks it over and just can't understand how they don't match.
He tells me he was sure he got the first four numbers correct.

Never mind the remaining six.

I ended up looking it up for him.

Idiot...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14242