Topic: Transmission removal 1953 Sunliner

jimbomac    -- 10-14-2020 @ 5:58 AM
  I am going to have my mechanic pull the transmission including OD this winter to troubleshoot the OD as well as go over the 3 speed. He has extensive experience in 30's era Fords as well as 1955-56 models, in which the tranny can be pulled without removing the engine, but is not sure whether the tranny can be pulled without removing the engine as well in a 53 convertible- he's concerned about frame and tranny
supports being not removable. My shop manual shows that the various supports are removable in order to pull the tranny and leave the engine in place. I can't believe that you would have to pull the entire engine/tranny in order to service the clutch. Am I correct here? Thx

TomO    -- 10-15-2020 @ 8:22 AM
  I would believe the shop manual.

Tom

therunwaybehind    -- 10-15-2020 @ 9:21 AM
  Is he spooky about using his left hand? Some things on later Y-block Fords are only accessible without unbolting a motor mount and jacking up one side of the engine---UNLESS- you are very agile in the left arm and hand. I caution you that you will find folks will try to censor you if you use your left hand later in a obviously skilled way. Try not to burden your mechanic with what is a heavy burden.

henlinee    -- 10-15-2020 @ 11:32 AM
  Pull the Driveline

tudorbilll

cliftford    -- 10-15-2020 @ 2:44 PM
  Many years ago I did this several times on closed '52-53 cars. I don't recall it being a problem.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-15-2020 @ 3:14 PM
  HI 53 Sunliner
I do not think you have to remove the engine,,
I used to do a clutch job on a cars in drive ways using a scissor jacks and cinderblocks and wood blocks
using a ratchet wrench and various wrenches, after high school
pulling the transmission and reinstalling in one after noon, Doing a clutch job, was no problem
I think the only FORD CAR you have to remove engine is the 1955 56 57 T BIRDS,
I think the SUNLINER used the same frame as tudors and fordors, but not certain,
this is what I was told,
if you could find a old auto flatrate book it would have how many hours it would take
hope this helps., 37Ragtopman

51woodie    -- 10-15-2020 @ 8:38 PM
  My 49 to 53 Ford Passenger Car Chassis Parts Catalog, page 65 shows an "X" type frame with a removeable cross member, Group No. 5059. Page 66 shows it as; SUPPORT (ENGINE REAR) 52-53 Convertible Coupe P/N AB 5059-B and lists 6 ea. 5/16"-24 x 1" bolts and 5/16" locknuts.

I hope this helps.

jimbomac    -- 10-16-2020 @ 9:08 AM
  Thanks everybody for your responses! Looks like a little simpler job now!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14240