Topic: 1938 paint spec for interior metal trim

Jacques1960    -- 10-12-2020 @ 5:23 AM
  Does anyone have the spec (or source) for the paint color for interior metal trim pieces per below photo ? Thank you.

trjford8    -- 10-12-2020 @ 6:46 AM
  You might check with Bill Hirsch who advertises in the V-8 Times.

Jacques1960    -- 10-12-2020 @ 6:59 AM
  Thank you

TomO    -- 10-12-2020 @ 8:02 AM
  Bill Hirsch is not always accurate when it comes to interior finishes. I would check with one of the contacts given to you in other posts.

A body shop can usually color match the part better than paint suppliers, but today most of them use base coat clear coat water based paint and it will not look like the original.

That color is pretty close to the 1940 heater gray, if you strike out on the contacts, you can order the 1940 heater gray from TCP Global in an enamel and a small amount of white in the same enamel. When you get the paint, you can addvery small amounts of white to the gray until you get a match. I would start by dipping a pop-sickle sticl in the white paint and then let that dribble into the gray.

Rustoleum has several shades of industrial gray that are also close to that color and would work if you are going to paint all of the hardware. Be aware that you have to use Rustoleum paint when ever you touch up, if you decide to paint all of the hardware with it. Other paints may not be compatible with Rustoleum.

Tom

Jacques1960    -- 10-12-2020 @ 8:10 AM
  Thank you.

If it helps the cause, book suggests M1778, Top Iron Grey (possibly Dune Grey), although chip sample does not match actual (unrestored) finish.

kubes40    -- 10-12-2020 @ 11:30 AM
  I'm quite certain I have the accurate formula at home. However, keep in mind, that will restore the color to as it was when new. There's no doubt what you currently have, being 82 years old, is quite faded.
If you want to match what you have, you'll need to take a bracket to a good auto paint supplier and have it custom matched.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 10-12-2020 @ 11:40 AM
  Jacques, Original Ford M number paint formulas are no longer in use and cannot be translated to modern formulas. Paint chips tend to darken with age, so they are no longer useful either. As stated previously, an original sample taken to a paint store can be matched on the spot.

Alan

Jacques1960    -- 10-12-2020 @ 11:48 AM
  Appreciate the good counsel; will take a piece for direct match. Thank you.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14236