Topic: 39 ford truck not getting gas to carburetor

Maple    -- 10-07-2020 @ 4:29 PM
  I’m at my wits end not getting gas to the carburetor I replaced fuel pump and checked it it’s working , I checked all the.lines are all open ,changed in line gas filter . When I turn it over it creates a vacuumed on the see through inline gas filter but draws no gas to it it and stays empty . Not sure what to do next any ideas . Thank You. I want to thank everyone who responded I changed the bowl gasket to cork ,changed rubber hoses used screw ratchet clamps and it started right up and running smooth , I got a kit and will rebuild the original fuel pump as a back up.. just as a note my 1939 ford pickup truck was a total frame off and every nut and bolt off restoration an 11 year project I found it in a collapsed shed at a lumber mill moter was free but cylinders were heavily gouged up bored it out to 90 ths The only thing I didn’t do was the paint .

This message was edited by Maple on 10-10-20 @ 5:47 PM

MG    -- 10-07-2020 @ 4:45 PM
  Loosen the gas cap and see if that helps....

carcrazy    -- 10-07-2020 @ 8:52 PM
  You may have a vacuum leak somewhere in the fuel line between the tank and the fuel pump. There may be a leak at the top of the fuel pump - make sure the gasket between the fuel pump cover and the body of the pump is making a good seal. One of the check valves in the fuel pump may have failed of fallen out of position.

Maple    -- 10-08-2020 @ 12:37 AM
  I took gas cap off thinking that was problem early on but that didn’t help I checked the gas line from the tank to the fuel pump and don’t see any problems the fuel pump is new I ordered a rebuild kit for the old fuel pump and see what happens with that

40 Coupe    -- 10-08-2020 @ 5:05 AM
  A photo f your fuel system under the hood would be good, since the original truck did not have a clear fuel filter. Look for a flexible line that is blocked, especially the line from the firewall to the fuel pump (if you still have) or any other flexible lines. If you have not replaced the flex lines it may be good to replace them all with new since the ethanol fuel will cause the old style flex lines to fail.

TomO    -- 10-08-2020 @ 7:04 AM
  Did you blow air through the fuel line and then into the tank to clear any obstruction?

Check that you have the gas filter installed correctly again. There should be an arrow showing which way the fuel should flow. If the filter is installed correctly, remove it and replace it with fuel line hose, using the worm drive hose clamps.

If that doesn't fix the problem, connect a vacuum gauge to the fuel line near or at the tank, fill the carburetor bowl with fuel and start the engine. The reading should be at least 10 inches of vacuum. If you cannot obtain that reading, work back to the fuel pump to see if you can find the vacuum leak.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 10-8-20 @ 7:06 AM

1931 Flamingo    -- 10-08-2020 @ 7:10 AM
  What's the condition of the flex line at the pump??
Paul in CT

Maple    -- 10-09-2020 @ 2:24 AM
  Thank You I did blow back line to fuel tank and it is clear , when I turn it over it appears to be creating a vacuum as the clear in line filter showers it but the filter is still dry I don’t have a vacuum gauge but when I take off the new fuel pump and hand pump it it shoots gas out could it be a problem in the gas tank the tank is over haft full

Maple    -- 10-09-2020 @ 2:27 AM
  Thank you I will send you a picture today I’ve blown air through the line to the tank I will replace the rubber lines on the fire wall

Maple    -- 10-09-2020 @ 3:32 AM
  Here are several photos thank You

ken ct.    -- 10-09-2020 @ 4:10 AM
  FYI, Thats not the correct FP for a 39 but should work anyway. Replace the cork gasket on the glass bowl and i think you will be good to go, ken ct do NOT use a neoprene one..

TomO    -- 10-09-2020 @ 7:58 AM
  Did you fill the sediment bowl with gas? If you did not, the sediment bowl gasket is leaking. Try tightening the thumb screw at the base of the bolt. It should be hand tight.

Throw away those spring hose clamps and use two new worm drive hose clamps. Push the hose all the way onto the filter until the hose seats against the shoulder on the filter. Install the worm drive clamps 1/8" from the end of the hose.

If it were my car, I would throw the filter away and just use the sediment bowl and screen in the fuel pump. My car has been running that way for the past 18 years. Those filters cause more problems than they fix.

Tom

Mr Rogers    -- 10-10-2020 @ 1:01 PM
  Glass bowl forever works great with a good gasket!!! Insert/paper filter not required.

Maple    -- 10-10-2020 @ 5:33 PM
  Thank you I got it going changed to cork gasket and changed rubber lines filled bowl and it started right up

ROUNDS    -- 10-12-2020 @ 12:53 PM
  What has happened with your 39 truck is the flue line has a air lock. to fix this u need to put air pressure to the tank. I have the same problem with my 36 Ford. I made a cap to cover the filler neck with a 40 oz peanut jar cap. Put a rubber gasket in the cap. Drill a small hole to fit a basket ball needle,hold the cap firmly to the filler neck put 10/15 pounds air to the tank. This pushes gas up to the pump. this will fix your problem. REGARDS, ROUNDS

This message was edited by ROUNDS on 10-12-20 @ 1:13 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14228