Topic: Transmission main shaft endplay

oatycorb    -- 10-06-2020 @ 5:16 AM
  Hello everyone!! I recently put together the transmission for my '37 and had a question about the main shaft endplay, more specifically the movement fore and aft of second gear. I used the 48 series case with '39 to '48 internals, using good used gears and all new bearings, thrust washers etc. I know that Ford recommends .004" to .008" endplay for this gear, and from what I understand the closer to the .004" minimum the better. After experimenting with different thrust washers I ended up with a snug .003" clearance, which I assumed would be fine. I assembled the rest of the transmission (minus the shift tower) but haven't put it back in the car yet. Now I'm having doubts about the fact that the endplay is less than the .004" minimum specified by Ford. If this issue is likely to cause problems I'd rather take it back apart now before it's back in the car. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me, I really appreciate it!

This message was edited by oatycorb on 10-6-20 @ 3:42 PM

JM    -- 10-07-2020 @ 5:39 AM
  We built the exact same transmission for my '35 fordor sedan last summer. We also focased our attention on making that 0.004" to 0.008" clearance specification. Our finale check on that clearance was in the 0.004" to 0.006" range. After reinstalling this transmission, and driving the car around 2,000 miles, I feel this transmission performance is outstanding.
In my opinion, I would install that transmission as is with the 0.003" clearance and drive that vehical.

John

This message was edited by JM on 10-7-20 @ 5:41 AM

oatycorb    -- 10-07-2020 @ 4:29 PM
  Thanks for your input!! That's kind of what I was thinking too. I've been a car and motorcycle mechanic for most of my life but have never put together anything even close to being this old so I'm learning as I go and wasn't sure if that slightly smaller clearance would be an issue. Nobody has come forward with any stories about transmissions grenading because 2nd gear had too little clearance so I think I'm good lol! Thanks again for the response, I really appreciate it.

JM    -- 10-10-2020 @ 10:41 AM
  You may also want to consider calling Mac Van Pelt in Cincinnati, Ohio and get his opinion on going with 0.003 clearance. He builds many of these transmission and would gladly give you good advice. I believe his phone # is in his V-8 Times ad.

John

oatycorb    -- 10-11-2020 @ 2:10 PM
  Thanks, I will!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14223