Topic: Passenger Door Window

sarahcecelia    -- 09-12-2020 @ 10:49 AM
  Can anybody tell me why, when I close the door hard enough for it to latch securely, the window goes down about 3/8ths of an inch?

I have an idea that it might be a little play in the regulator, or that the felt window channels need to be replaced; but they look like new.

I'd like to get some ideas about what to look for, before I take the door panel off to try to see what it is.

I roll the window back up, and if I close the door, just to the point BEFORE it latches, and then just PUSH ON IT , HARD ENOUGH TO MAKE IT LATCH, the glass won't drop; but if I "Swing it shut," like one normally does, the glass drops down again!! ( In other words, I can't close it like a normal person would!)

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 9-12-20 @ 10:56 AM

1931 Flamingo    -- 09-12-2020 @ 3:53 PM
  Most likely a weak spring in the regulator.
Paul in CT

mfirth    -- 09-12-2020 @ 3:58 PM
  Hi Steve. What year & model. I did life cycle & strength tests on Ford w/r assemblies in the 70s & 80s and the condition you describe would indicate a bad "clutch assy". I've had a few early V8 cars, but never had a problem & am not familiar with those w/r assys. I'll bet they a very simular.

therunwaybehind    -- 09-13-2020 @ 3:11 AM
  Your problem is with folks who think you are overly "nice." True Ford riders after the 1956 Lifeguard design know that you have to "slam" the door to get the rotary door lock to latch. Thus each time one of these proprietary and narcissistic riders goes with you, you have to replace the glass if there is any wear at all in the felts. You as a safe and sane driver have everything in the window regulator and positioning like new and have no need for shoulder harnesses and crushable front clips or even a deep dish steering wheel and pop out windshield. Do you fear your engine will not be deflected downward by hardened floor boards and penetrate the passenger compartment so you have owned a van with the engine "right there?" Are you worried that the pump at the station is not working because it has a vapor recirculation and even your gas cap vents to a charcoal cannister? Do secret service agents come to visit you to see if you know about the azides in your air bag. Poetry is the cure. Place it at all four winds about ten feet above the surface.

sarahcecelia    -- 09-13-2020 @ 6:07 AM
  Window problem is on a 1950, Tudor sedan.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 9-13-20 @ 6:08 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 09-13-2020 @ 6:10 AM

it's a 1950 sedan.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 09-13-2020 @ 6:14 AM
  What the He?? are you talking about!!???

Regards, Steve Lee

therunwaybehind    -- 09-13-2020 @ 8:13 AM
  I'm talking about a 1948 Ford Sedan coupe right door as treated by University of Michigan students who had parents with newer Fords from after 1956. Being hyper focused on whether a car is 1950 or 1948 would be called parochial where I come from though later folks would see it as proprietary when they wanted to sell theirs. I appreciate that some folks do not know all the Ford products through the years and know nothing about Ralph Nader or the CARB regulations that made cars undriveable until catalytic converters were "perfected" by fuel injection and variable valve timing. It was the phrase "close the door hard" that I hoped to support you on.

therunwaybehind    -- 09-13-2020 @ 8:18 AM
  The secret sauce of four directions and ten feet tall is an oblique reference to Confucius and the sensitivity of poetry at veteran's internment ceremonies. Where you been red rider, did you miss the recall of that fragmentation grenade in front of your chest? Not a problem in 1950 Fords. Be thankful.

kubes40    -- 09-13-2020 @ 9:02 AM
  Wow! This thread has gotten way out of hand. I think two of you boys need to sit a corner for a time out.
How about we try our best to help each other?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

therunwaybehind    -- 09-13-2020 @ 9:34 AM
  I usually parlay when the difference gets this great. My next level is "second segment" name on the EAA forum. What is my greatest difference there is the classic argument of theory and experimental results. I'm with theory but now after almost 50 years, the experiments have given me this question for you. Which expense has saved more lives and property, tankers or ejection seats. Neither applies to most civilian applications as these came with the jet age. My father and sister both were subscribers to Consumer Reports, and my sister still is. My grandson now that he is 10 said a few weeks ago, "You hate cars. You love airplanes."

trjford8    -- 09-14-2020 @ 6:20 AM
  ???

sarahcecelia    -- 09-15-2020 @ 6:33 AM
  I totally agree with you Kubes!!

I was just asking (in what I thought was a nice way) What his crazy reply to my problem window thread meant., and then he just gave another reply that made no sense to me.

I won't reply to him again.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14158