Topic: 12 volt electric fuel pump

fatso2114    -- 09-11-2020 @ 9:53 AM
  Hello, I am looking for a 12 volt neg ground electric fuel pump that I can use to fill the carb after it has been sitting for weeks. I need the fuel to flow through the pump after I shut it off as I will then use the mechanical pump on the motor once it starts, any suggestions on what work for this application. Thanks,John

carcrazy    -- 09-11-2020 @ 1:23 PM
  Contact Randy at Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts 785-632-3450 to see if he offers a fuel pump that will meet your needs.

51504bat    -- 09-11-2020 @ 3:33 PM
  That is exactly what I'm doing on my '39 p/u with an 8ba. Its converted to 12 volts. I bought the pump at my local parts store. I believe its an Airtex because that is the brand they carry. I have the part number down in my shop. I'll check later today. Its mounted just in front of the tank and controlled by a toggle switch under the dash. Flip it on to prime the carb after the truck has been sitting for a while. Shut it off and start/run with the mechanical pump.

len47merc    -- 09-12-2020 @ 4:32 AM
  Taking the time to ensure you have a correct gas cap, ensuring the line from the tank to the flex hose is tight/air leak free, have a new quality flex hose properly fitted and tightened, have a properly functioning and 'gasketed' fuel pump, leak free line to the carb and a Charlie Schwendler restored carb will solve the problem completely - and likely take less time to accomplish than engineering, installing and introducing another failure point on top of the one you apparently already have.

Our EFV8's with optimized, stock fuel systems can sit for months without having fuel drain back into the tank and still start on the first button push when properly choked as may be necessary. Personal experience validated 14 weeks idled over a winter and the car started immediately in March, 12 weeks from Aug-Oct while doing unrelated mechanical restoration work and same result for a Thanksgiving parade. And also never vapor locked in mid-Atlantic July 4 parades, etc.

Take the time to do it right the first time - you will not regret it. Fwiw

Steve

whizzerbug    -- 09-12-2020 @ 8:12 AM
  I have a 12v airtex on my 1946 merc,i use it to prime the carb and its good insurance in case your fuel pump dies out on the road it will get you home

fatso2114    -- 09-12-2020 @ 8:26 AM
  Hello, what model is thr airtex pump,thanks John

40cpe    -- 09-13-2020 @ 5:58 AM
  Model 8016S is 12v at 2.5-4.5 psi. Scroll down to the 2nd page of this link to see the models they offer.
https://airtexasc.com/media/1178/16-universal-fuel-pump-applications.pdf

fatso2114    -- 09-13-2020 @ 11:26 AM
  Hello, Thanks for all the info this is a great forum and allways a great help.Happy motoring,John

woodiewagon46    -- 09-13-2020 @ 11:33 AM
  Remember to install a safety cut off switch in case of an accident. You don't want that pump spewing gas in case of a collision.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14156