Topic: Lowering front end on ‘39

oldfordman    -- 09-09-2020 @ 2:27 PM
  Help!!
Having some “Hotrod” work done on my ‘39 deluxe coupe (heads, carbs and cam) And to go along with that, I’d like to get the “stance”. Is it possible to lower the front without too much expense and work?
Thanks,
Don

42guy    -- 09-09-2020 @ 3:00 PM
  I had a new main leaf made with reversed eyes. I think it was about $60. Lowered it about 2 ". Also did the rear and gives a nice lowered stance.

woodiewagon46    -- 09-09-2020 @ 3:20 PM
  Like guy42 mentions, spring replacement or a dropped axle is the easiest.

FordFreak    -- 09-10-2020 @ 6:14 AM
  Check out Posies reversed eye springs , sold by Speedway Motors .

wmsteed    -- 09-10-2020 @ 7:57 AM
  If cost is the main object just "torch" the springs. When I was a teen in the 'good ole days' that's was very common, worked better than long shackles.
If you want the car to drive nice and be SAFE, use a dropped axle. A new Posie spring on the rear will lower that area.
I would advise against having the local blacksmith shop make new springs... Tried that once and it did not work well.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

42guy    -- 09-10-2020 @ 3:21 PM
  I have had many new main leaf reversed eye springs made.with out any problems. I use a local spring shop that makes springs for H.D. trucks.

woodiewagon46    -- 09-10-2020 @ 3:48 PM
  If you are going to do it, do it right DO NOT take a torch to the springs. The springs that were TORCHED were the coil springs on many custom cars. We have moved way past that technology!

trjford8    -- 09-12-2020 @ 8:35 AM
  Attached is a photo of my '40 with a dropped axle. I used an axle from Nostalgia Sid who drops original axles. He can be found on Facebook. He will also bend your original steering arms on your spindles which needs to be done for clearance. You can also cut off your original arms and install aftermarket arms to accomplish the same clearance. The rear spring was dearched to lower the back. Reversed eye spring leaves front and back will lower the car some, but it depends on how low you want to go.

therunwaybehind    -- 09-13-2020 @ 3:18 AM
  The car on the front of the "Ford Times" magazine for the latest month looks like it fell victim to the "big and little" craze of the Indy roadster era when the fronts were 15 inch (or 16) and the rears were 18 inch worn for one race Firestones. The later wide oval 60 "indy" profile is a different time. My friend's 1934 5-window had a torched front spring which was to assure the viewer that it had an Olds or heavier swap engine of 1949. In apology to the editor the photo could be a Byzantine projection like Solidworks eDrawing likes to do.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 9-14-20 @ 8:53 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-17-2020 @ 7:16 AM
  What happens to the shocks when you lower the suspension ?
do they need to be modified also ? for travel ?
seems to me that the travel is changed,
are you using original shocks or tube shocks,
like to know, 1937 Ragtopman

trjford8    -- 09-19-2020 @ 9:09 AM
  I converted to tube shocks. used a Chassis Engineering front kit and I installed a Bob drake rear sway bar kit which included the rear tube shock kit. I can't answer the issue with the stock shocks as I have never lowered a car with them still installed. Hopefully someone can answer you that has done it. You should be O.K with the dropped axle and stock shocks as it keeps the same distance between the frame and the axle. The reversed leaf eye spring does put the axle closer to the frame.

wmsteed    -- 09-19-2020 @ 9:43 AM
  If you lower a EFV8 via spring modifications, the shock travel is very limited, however, a dropped axle does not effect spring travel. I converted the front shocks on my '36 to a tube shock setup that bolted onto the original locations on the frame and axle/wishbone bolt. I converted the rear shocks to stock '47-48 Ford which was easy because I have a '47-48 Columbia under the car.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14153