Topic: Rear seal

silverchief    -- 09-05-2020 @ 12:38 PM
  To replace the front or rear seal in my 49 flathead is it necessary to remove the engine?

If not, does it just require dropping the oil pan?

Roughly what would it cost to have a qualified garage do the job?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-07-2020 @ 12:19 PM
  HI
how old is the engine, in miles,?
how much oil does it leak,
just drip or pour out,
did you check your breather pipe. any clogs,?
if you remove the oil breather cap when running, does it puff out fumes,
if your engine is puffing your engine is building up pressure inside and replacing the seals will not help.
this is happens when the piston rings are worn, and or cylinders,
does the engine smoke when backing off the throttle going down hills, out of the exhaust ?
this pressure forces the oil pass the seals,
you will need to find out what exactly is your problem ,before you can repair it,
you could remove the pan in the car, and remove the rear main bearing cap.
you will need a rope seal puller,and installer,.
also you will need to check your rear main bearing for wear, using green plastic gauge, will let you know what clearances you have
hope this helps 1937 Ragtopman,

silverchief    -- 09-08-2020 @ 8:19 AM
  Thanks for the suggestions 37 Ragtopman

The engine has 34,000 miles and is in excellent condition.
No puff and no smoke out the exhaust.
Just a steady drip that over a week will make a puddle about 6 inches across in the drip pan.

I'm going to have it on a lift next week and will try to determine exactly where the drip is coming from.

cliftford    -- 09-08-2020 @ 2:03 PM
  It could be as simple as a drain plug gasket or the oil filter cover gasket or fittings.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-09-2020 @ 8:25 AM
  HI
be sure to check the oil pressure switch, and back of the intake manifold, and fuel pump stand,area
it might be something simple
hope this helps, 37 Ragtopman

mfirth    -- 09-09-2020 @ 10:31 AM
  Also, be sure your oil isn't contaminated with gasoline.
Hope it is something simple.
mike

silverchief    -- 09-09-2020 @ 11:38 AM
  Thanks for good suggestions.

I will start with the washer at the oil pan plug, go from their to the oil pressure switch and then rear of manifold.
Used to be able to get the copper or brass gasket for the oil pan drain plug for my car from Napa or O'Reilly. Now they only have nylon. Same with Mac and C&G. I much prefer metal.

Puzzling to me, the dipstick has never reflected this regular loss of oil. The pool of oil has no odor of gasoline, and lighting a match to it does nothing. There has not been the slightest change in the coolant level, and when I touch the oil residue it looks, feels, and smells like nothing but engine oil.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14139