Topic: 1937 ventilation system

mzahorik    -- 09-04-2020 @ 8:54 AM
  Today was the first time I drove my car with the windows closed, it's cooling off outside. I was fumigated. Looking at the engine running the breather cap was pushing out fumes to beat the band. I thought the breather cap would take air into the engine, not push it out. Then I thought that the road draft tube could be plugged. There is no draft tube. Apparently the is a triangle port on the passenger side of the engine next to the 1st main. I'm looking for a port of opening and can not find anything. FYI, I believe I have a replacement short block, an AB? Probably from 1945. Where is the other end of the ventilation system? Thanks Mike

mzahorik    -- 09-04-2020 @ 9:11 AM
  Well..... I found it. It is a small slot on the passenger side of the block down near the oil pan. I applied some compressed air at the breather and felt around for air coming out. I also found that the gasket between the breather casing and the block must be broken. There is a lot of air coming out of there also. Probably the fumes also. I'll have to repair the gasket and see how this helps the problem. The front vent must be open there is a lot of air coming out of it. Mike

mzahorik    -- 09-04-2020 @ 9:56 AM
  Got it apart and there was no gasket between the block and the filler pipe. So I made a gasket and re installed everything. Now no fumes come out of the newly gasketed spot, but while idling more fumes come out of the breather than the front vent. Even when the engine is rev'ed up. I'll have to take the car on the road to see if this made any improvement. Seems this ventilation system is rather poor. Maybe the addition of a PVC valve could improve this. Mike

TomO    -- 09-04-2020 @ 10:31 AM
  Mike, you are probably getting the fumes from the vent because you have excessive blow-by. Make sure that your breather is clean. A PVC system will help, but you will have to have the rings replaced to cure the blow-by.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-04-2020 @ 12:21 PM
if you remove the breather cap and it is puffing, you have blow by,
you can do a leak down test to be sure,
you can also do a compression test with adding oil to the cylinders before the test, if it goes up you have a ring problem,
I drive my 37 and it has no fumes, that I can tell
hope this helps 1937 Ragtopman.

mzahorik    -- 09-04-2020 @ 2:06 PM
  Yup..... you guys are correct. I just did cylinder leak down test The best cylinder has 17% leakage and the worst is 57%. Seems nearly all the leakage is at the rings. My motor is rather tired. So no PVC, but will have to rebuild the engine sometime. I will need to do some investigation of local re-builders. Thanks Mike

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14136