Topic: 1947 Choke joint connector

jamesmundstock    -- 09-01-2020 @ 6:53 PM
  I purchased new joint connectors for the choke and hand throttle since mine was connected with a piece of fuel line and some clamps. The ends of the joint are the same diameter as the cable and rod end. How does the joint connector attached to the cable and the choke rod? Photos would be great. Thanks in advance for the replies.

51woodie    -- 09-02-2020 @ 6:17 AM
  I have the same issue with my '46. I have the new joints, but haven't tackled replacement yet. The existing joints are crimped onto the rod ends, so I was thinking, cut the rubber connection to free both ends. Slide a nut splitter over the crimped section and crank it. That should loosen the connector from the rod. Or, use a die grinder (messy)to open up the crimp. Install the new joint, and crimp with vice grips? Someone must have done this before, so any ideas would be appreciated.

kubes40    -- 09-02-2020 @ 6:47 AM
  The connectors were originally crimped upon the rods.
It sounds as if yours are already absent.
If not, I cut them (old ones) off very carefully with a very small (1" diameter) cut off disc mounted in a die grinder. JB Weld the new one in place if you do not have access to a heavy duty crimper. A locking plier will not be sufficiently strong to crimp the new ones.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 9-2-20 @ 6:48 AM

TomO    -- 09-02-2020 @ 9:39 AM
  I just pulled the stubs of the new ones from the rubber, cut the rubber off of the old ones and using a rubber lube inserted my rods into the new rubber. I did this in 1977 and they are still in use.

Tom

kubes40    -- 09-02-2020 @ 3:39 PM
  You can remember something from 1977? You're a better man than me...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 09-03-2020 @ 8:31 AM
  Yes, I can remember what I did to my car, I just can't remember my wife and kid's names.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-05-2020 @ 9:58 AM
  If you buy the choke and hand throttle replacements. they are usually sold as units with the rubber joints already on the rods. If you try to pull them apart, it will likely damage the rubber. They were installed at the factory as units. That is why the holes in the firewall are large. You insert the rod assemblies from inside and place grommets around the rods to seal the holes.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14131