Topic: 1940 Ford Gas Tank

Wyattja1@yahoo.com    -- 09-01-2020 @ 2:15 PM
  Any experience help hints on removal and replace tank on 40 Ford would be appreciated Thanks JAW

pauls39coupe    -- 09-01-2020 @ 6:12 PM
  I have used Bob Drake's tanks on a 39 coupe, a 40 pickup and a 46 sedan. They work fine with some modifications. Be careful gasoline is dangerous!
To remove the old tank, drain it, remove the rubber connection to the fill tube and remove the gas line and the sending unit. Unbolt the tank, then push it to the left to clear the frame, drop it down and slide the old tank out to the rear.
Install the new tank reverse the process, with some exceptions. If you want to use your original sending unit the hole must be opened a bit. Use a die grinder with the tank upside down and vacuum carefully to remove all the metal chips. If you are replacing the sending unit, Drake's or other vendors sell a replacement that will fit correctly.
Trial fit the tank. It should go in place by sliding it up and to the left to clear the right side frame rail. Some of these tanks have a flange that is too wide. You may need to take about 1/8 inch off the right side of the flange. There is also a bump on the left side of the tank that may need to be flattened. Do this to gain clearance on the right side of the tank to clear the frame rail. Replace the rubber connector going to the fill tube as these are nearly always hard as a rock.
Remember if you modify the tank, you own it. Use care gasoline is dangerous!! If you don't have the skills necessary or have doubts, please get a professional to do the job.

TomO    -- 09-02-2020 @ 10:00 AM
  The aftermarket sending units are difficult to set correctly. Most of the aftermarket tanks do not have baffles in then to prevent sloshing of the fuel.

I would clean and seal the original tank if it is solid.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-05-2020 @ 10:10 AM
  If you are not trying to use an authentic repro fuel tank, consider a plastic type. I put one in about 20 years ago, and it is fine. The usual problem with the steel tanks is that road dirt accumulates on top of the tank, and moisture eventually opens rust pin holes that allow vapors to emerge. My plastic tank has a vent that loops under the frame into the fender to prevent vapors from building under the vehicle. You must install a ground wire to one of the sender mounting screws so the sender will work. I agree with my friend Tom O that setting the sender takes time and patience. They will, eventually, show the fuel level, but not exactly as did the KS originals. I set mine to read near empty while there is sufficient fuel left to get a refill before running out.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14128