Topic: Ruinning rich.

silverchief    -- 08-28-2020 @ 9:09 AM
  My stock 46 flathead starts on a quarter turn, idles smooth as glass, and accelerates easily through all gears.

For some time, the black suet at the end of the tailpipes has told me it is running rich, and I would like to fix that. Based on the above performance what is the most likely cause?
Under the axiom "If it ain't broke don't fix it" I am reluctant to tear into the carb and wouldn't know what I was looking for anyway.

Will appreciate helpful suggestions.

carcrazy    -- 08-28-2020 @ 11:14 AM
  What kind of fuel economy does the car get? Does the exhaust pipe clear up and turn grey in color after long highway runs? It may just be that you are not driving the car far enough for the exhaust pipe color to lighten up. Does the car burn any oil? If the car uses more than a quart of oil every 300 miles, the exhaust pipe will appear black and wet.

silverchief    -- 08-28-2020 @ 12:54 PM
  Thanks for the input car crazy.

The car uses zero oil and I don't do any highway runs. Three miles is a long run for me.

Plus, checking the mpg is just a guessing game because the gas gauge is far from accurate. However, comparing the gallons per fill up with the mileage traveled, I don't see any obvious indication of low mpg.

Mr Rogers    -- 08-28-2020 @ 1:16 PM
  Thinking out loud ...... driving low miles could cause cold moisture & exhaust build up.

silverchief    -- 08-28-2020 @ 1:55 PM
  True Mr. Rogers - it seldom gets up to operating temp.

sarahcecelia    -- 08-28-2020 @ 6:56 PM
  Not getting up to operating temp is the problem! Take it out on the highway and run it 60-65 miles an hour for about a 10 mile round trip; then stop (before returning to low town speeds,) and look at he tailpipe. That should clean it up.Also, are you running the right spark plugs? Champion H-10's and gapped at .030-.032, and timed at the dot on the pulley? (Which is 2 degrees advance) ??It will start easily if it is off a degree or two, but not burn the fuel properly! I always set it at the dot on the pulley, and the drive in 3rd at about 30MPH and push the pedal down a little to "Lug it, and if it doesn't ping very slightly, stop and tap it a little more toward advance, and try again. When you get it to ping very slightly, you have Optimum timing!! Best power and fuel burn!!

Regards, Steve Lee

51woodie    -- 08-29-2020 @ 1:21 AM
  Steve. I'm a bit puzzled with your post here. I have a '46 coupe with 59AB engine, and I don't know what you mean by "the dot on the pulley". Also, the tune up info that I have specs. .025" on the H10 plugs. Is .030-.032" a better setting?

GK1918    -- 08-29-2020 @ 6:10 AM
  correct, there is no dot on the pulley that dot started with the 8BA engines.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-29-2020 @ 9:05 AM
  HI Running Rich
try driving with out a air cleaner, to see if it makes a difference,
I have seen these get clogged and act as a choke , making the engine run rich.
it just might be something simple, and make sure your choke opens up all the way and is not our of adjustment,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

sarahcecelia    -- 08-29-2020 @ 12:46 PM
  Sorry about the "dot", I was thinking of a 1949 thru 1953 Flat head 8.

You have the older flattie with the distributor is on the crank shaft! Flatties of the 50's take 28-32 thousands plug gap, and H10 Champions; and those specs are probably the same for yours.

But run that car like I said; "Up to temp, and Highway fast,60-65 MPH, for 10-12 miles round trip!"

Then stop and check that exhaust pipe for soot!!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 8-31-20 @ 6:24 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14111