Topic: Diamond Auburn Deluxe Radials on '37 Ford

ibshane    -- 08-26-2020 @ 12:20 AM
  I would like to put some of the Diamondback Auburn Deluxe Radials (Bias Look) on '37 Ford

Is there any way to modify stock 1937 Ford Wide-5 wheels to be able to use tubeless Radials?

If not..., can you use tubes with such a set up?

Thanks, in advance!!

ken ct.    -- 08-26-2020 @ 4:05 AM
  Yes, just specfiy RADIAL tubes. ken ct.

juergen    -- 08-26-2020 @ 5:08 AM
  I have them tubeless on my 37 Ford.

51504bat    -- 08-26-2020 @ 6:21 AM
  I run tubeless radials on the wide fives on my '39 p/u. The rear tires hold air fine. The fronts loose several pounds a week. Since its both front tires and not the rears I believe its due to the flexing of the tires from turning movements but I'm not positive. Some day I'll demount all the wheels to make sure the beads are smooth and seal the rivets to see if that solves the air loss issue. Until then I just keep an eye on the front air pressure.

TomO    -- 08-26-2020 @ 7:21 AM
  Here is an article about using radial tires on rims that were not designed for them.

https://www.sema.org/files/attachments/WTC-2011-05-Bias-vs-Radial-Tire-Wheel-Fitment.pdf

The 1937 wheels were not designed for tubeless tires and may not seal good with the tubeless tires.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 08-26-2020 @ 10:47 AM
  For what its worth, here is a pic of a DiamondBack Auburn on my '40. (different than your wide-five '37 wheel)

I opted to buy the radial tubes with them. I feared rim leaks with my old original wheels. I feared I would come to the garage after long storage to find a flat tire from a slow rim leak. And I feared could not just air it up, feared the flat tire would roll off the rim not designed to hold onto the bead of a tubeless tire. That would mean pulling the wheel/tire and a trip to a tire shop. PITA!

Have not had a single problem with the tires in three years. Love the vintage look of the pie-crust sidewall. I tell myself that compensates somewhat for the incorrect look of the radial tire bulge.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 8-26-20 @ 11:34 AM

ibshane    -- 08-27-2020 @ 10:30 PM
  Looks awesome!!

How do they ride compared to Bias ply?
My biggest issue with Bias Ply is the way they like to "grab" the ruts in the road!

ibshane    -- 08-27-2020 @ 10:31 PM
  C

This message was edited by ibshane on 8-27-20 @ 10:32 PM

51woodie    -- 08-28-2020 @ 4:20 AM
  I went to Universal Tire in Hershey, and got a set of 6:00-16 tube type bias, Firestone labeled, wide whites for my '46 Coupe. I brought my rims, and their Tech's did the install. It was a very good experience, and the biggest benefit was the information the Tech's shared with me. If tubes are used, use good quality, and make absolutely sure there is no foreign material inside the tire before mounting, and that even includes any stickers. Anything left inside will eventually cause the tube to fail. They wiped the inside the tire and vacuumed as well. Never let the white walls touch any black rubber when transporting or storing, as black will transfer to the white. They said don't use any "tire shine type stuff" on the white, and they suggested Simple Green as a good cleaner. There are a lot of opinions on handling and rim safety (bias vs radial) but I am happy with the bias tires I have.

TomO    -- 08-28-2020 @ 7:41 AM
  "Grabbing" the ruts in the road can be due to front end alignment. My 40 Merc doesn't Grab the ruts but will tend to follow deep ruts more than my modern cars. The toe in is set to less than 1/16".

My Lincoln was squirrely on grooved roads before I had the front end aligned, now it is just like my modern car with radials. It's toe in was 1/8" before alignment and now is 1/64". The camber was also way out of specs.

Before you invest in new tires, take your car to a shop that does truck alignments and have them check your alignment. If you have been driving a long time with the tires in their current positions, rotate the tires first.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 08-28-2020 @ 11:39 AM
  ibshane asked:
"How do they ride compared to Bias ply?"

I have to say I didn't notice much difference in the ride. And that's comparing to the 30+ year old bias ply that were on the car when I got it. I had not felt a problem with the bias ply grabbing road ruts. Maybe I was just not aware enough. The bias ply tires seemed perfectly fine to me; only replaced them due to their old age.

Edit: Or maybe the alignment was just where it needed to be.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 8-28-20 @ 11:45 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14106