Topic: 1934 ford

34 Coupe    -- 08-20-2020 @ 11:30 AM
  I'm new to this . I recently purchased a 1934 ford rolling chassis, with plans to put a coupe body on. The rear axle is already set up with hydraulic brakes. These I'm told were not available in 1934. How do I identify what year rear this is , for any future part needs ? Also I want to convert to open drive shaft. Kit for this specifies 1935 and up. Will the kit fit what I have? I have noticed some parts are list as for xx year Mercury. Will these still fit a Ford?
Thanks for your time.

mfirth    -- 08-20-2020 @ 1:55 PM
  Hello, you might want to post this on "The Ford Barn" too.

34 Coupe    -- 08-21-2020 @ 11:10 AM
  Thanks " mfirth" I will go over there also. Just to pass some info along-- I have found out I have a 1934 rear axle. The center section of the rear ,minus the axle tubes , on a 1934 measures 3 1/2 " on 19 35 and up it measures 3 13/16 "

CharlieStephens    -- 08-21-2020 @ 1:55 PM
  You probably have ’39 to ’48 Ford brakes. The ’39-42 are shown in the 1st and 3rd pictures and the ’46-’48 brakes are shown in the 2nd and 4th. Note that the ’39-’42 brakes have an adjuster at the 6 o’clock position and the ’42-’48 brakes do not. Most parts are not interchangeable. If yours don’t match these post a picture of what you have. Lincoln or early Ford truck brakes are also a possibility.

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-21-20 @ 2:16 PM

CharlieStephens    -- 08-21-2020 @ 2:08 PM
  Note that the hub and drum assemblies are different from '40 ('39 was a “wide five” bolt pattern) to ’42 and '46-’48. They will interchange across all years as assemblies of the hub and drum. The 3rd picture shows '40-'42 with the hub inside of the drum and 2nd picture shows '46-'48 with the hub mounted outside of the drum. If you run Ford wire wheels and hydraulic brake drums you will need an adapter as shown in the 1st picture (don't leave home without the adapter, the wheels just look like they fit without the adapter).

Why are you converting to open drive? Remember you will also need new strong rear radius rods, the 1934 ones are too weak. Sorry I can't help on the open drive questions.

What engine are you planning?

Remember that the drive shaft was a different length for 1934 depending on which engine you had (4 or 8).

You might also post your question on HAMB, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-21-20 @ 2:23 PM

34 Coupe    -- 08-26-2020 @ 7:19 AM
  Thanks Charlie. I have the 40-42 hub. Which I found out yesterday, will work with slight mod. "Iron Trap garage" on You Tube, posted a very good DIY on making the change. It came a week late for me, I had all ready called Speedway Auto and ordered parts to convert to disc brakes on front. So now I have all the parts, spindles (1934), drums and backing plates (1940 -42), etc for sale. Why convert to open drive shaft? I really wanted a flat head ,but every thing I read said they were noted to have cracks in block and was not will to put up with the hassle of finding a good one. I bought a 1967 ford 289, easier to find parts if I have made another mistake. Patients is something I have never had and usually suffer for it. Thanks for the tip on the radius rods-- I did plan on notching them, bending and attaching to the X part of frame.
Thanks again for your help.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-26-2020 @ 11:03 AM
  1934 ford,
What is the "slight mod" on the brake drums? I don't remember any.

Charlie Stephens

34 Coupe    -- 08-27-2020 @ 10:59 AM
  The holes in the backing plate are elongated allowing it to be bolted to the spindle. A spacer ( model A cylinder ring ) is fitted on spindle to take up gap between spindle and backing plate. Also some welded the spindle and then turned in lathe to fit backing plate. It all makes sense, I put the backing plates I have ( holes are all ready elongated) on my spindles and there was about 1/8 " space between spindle and backing plate .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14090