Topic: 1936 Throw Out Bearing

Mr Rogers    -- 08-17-2020 @ 11:45 AM
  I've been hearing a grumbling noise down below when I push the clutch in. As a kid in the 50's riding in my buddies 40 coupe ........ I remember the noise. 2 things that don't just go away ....... leaks and noises. Is there an easy fix? What damage can happen as shifting continues? If I do need to get into the clutch area ...... what parts of the driveline and transmission do I need to dis-assemble?
Appreciate the input.

42wagon    -- 08-18-2020 @ 3:18 AM
  Assuming you have a 36 engine and not something newer than a 48 you have two choices.
Either disconnect the rear axle and roll it back, then remove the transmission, or remove the engine. Obviously that's an over simplification. There's other things you need to remove to get at the engine and other things you need to remove to get to the transmission.
I'm sure you will hear from others on this subject.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-18-2020 @ 7:47 AM
  hi
you could try removing the floor pan, and access cover to the opening to the clutch assembly,
I would try spraying a graphite lubrication to the throw out bearing,[ or similar special spray can lube ]
working the clutch pedal back and forth. to see if the noise goes away,
if might just work
when I worked for VW DEALER,in the 1970's
there was a recall on the beetles, and other models with a noisy throw out bearing and they developed a special spray for this purpose, this did work, never had to replace the throw out bearings,
today's world has many great products, that may work, and save you a few days of WORK.
the other way is to remove the rear end, pulling backwards so you can REMOVE the transmission, or remove the engine,
by removing the hood, radiator, exhaust pipes,wiring, etc, and you will need a engine crane for lifting the engine,,
this is not a easy task, even for a mechanic, and takes special tools,
I would at this time replace the complete clutch, and check the transmission for any metal in the lube with a magnet for any pieces
and examine the gears for wear. and check out the U JOINTS, for play also,
hope this helps 1937 Ragtopman

Mr Rogers    -- 08-23-2020 @ 12:17 PM
  The engine is an original to the 36. On the floor pan, before I peel the rubber back, are all four sides of the pan secured down & not revited? Will I need to remove the floor gear shift? I've worked on engines before but never aft.

This message was edited by Mr Rogers on 8-23-20 @ 12:19 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14079