Topic: upholstery question

Barney    -- 08-17-2020 @ 4:02 AM
  Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,
I'm in the process of replacing the upholstery in my '40 Fordor. After removing the old rear seat covering, I noted there was burlap surrounding each and every coil spring in the seat. It appeared that it was very labor intensive, or they had very complex machines at the factory to do this job. I believe under normal circumstances, one would leave this burlap in place. However, I must remove it as it was the long-term residence for vermin for probably years. It's going to be a very tedious job to remove it. I contemplated burning it out, but figured that would almost undoubtedly remove the temper from the springs. I'm guessing the purpose of the burlap is to suppress 'spring noise', but I'm not sure. Anyone have comments as to whether I need to replace the burlap with something similar, or just leave the springs bare?
Thank you very much for your thoughts.
Appreciatively,
Barney

TomO    -- 08-17-2020 @ 7:53 AM
  Pocket springs are used to give better support when you sit on the seats. If you remove the pockets and do not install new ones, I believe the recommendation is the tie the springs. Tied springs give a more firm seating surface, that can be tiring to sit on for long periods.

If it was my car, I would pay an upholstery shop to remove the current pockets and install new ones, then install the seat covers with the correct padding. They can make the seat as soft as you would like it.

Tom

dddunham    -- 08-17-2020 @ 4:11 PM
  Thanks for the best wishes, Alan. FYI my radio is all one piece, including speaker. It is mounted in the center of the dash with the tuning dial at the bottom of the radio and the dash. It sounds as if this is different from yours

Has anyone put an antenna in a 38 Deluxe convertible sedan? These are the best I can get for pictures of the problem area. The old coax is what is pictured and it is stuck so the last bit (the antenna connector will not come out the bottom.

trjford8    -- 08-18-2020 @ 7:44 AM
  If you are replacing the upholstery I would definitely remove the burlap just to get rid of the smell from the rodents. Once removed you can "rattle can " paint the springs with some cheap enamel. In the past I was able to find some clips to tie the coils together to firm up the seat. Our resident '40 Ford guy known as Kube also recommends the following; get a roll of foam carpet padding and cut 7"X12" squares. Roll up the squares and stuff one roll in each coil. Twist the roll as you place it into the coil. The foam will expand in the coil and stay put. Using these methods will eliminate the need for wrapping the coils with burlap. You will need burlap to cover the top of the spring prior to placing the padding on the spring.

Barney    -- 08-18-2020 @ 5:48 PM
  Mr. TomO, Triford8 & Kube,
Thanks you for all your advise. I painstakingly removed all 66 springs by removing all the hogrings that tied the springs together. I strategically placed the springs on a flat surface so as to install in their original location. I then sandblasted and painted. Surprisingly, the tack strip at the bottom of the seat is in good condition. Thank you for passing along Kube's idea about the carpet foam; I am planning to copy that idea unless he has a patent on it. I'll utilize some of the hogrings supplied with my kit to tie the springs back together. My kit came with a sheet of sisal to place over the springs before installing the cushion material. Thank you all very much for your time.
Regards,
Barney

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14076