Topic: 1938 Radio Antenna

dddunham    -- 08-15-2020 @ 1:37 PM
  I have recently acquired a 1938 Ford Model 82A Deluxe Four Door Convertible. The radio does not work. A club member got it into top shape, but the car needs a new antenna....which I purchased. I cannot get the old antenna cable out or the new one in. The instructions just say to shove the cable down from the center of the windshield. The cable has a 3/4" or so grounding lug soldered to the coax shield. I have not been able to get that lug past far enough down the windshield side post even with the recommended twisting. If I were able, the old cable will not come out. It runs through a crack about 1/4" wide between the dash and firewall. Is this where it should go? It is now stuck from my pulling on it and the antenna socket end will not come through the 1/4" crack.
Has anyone had to do this before? Is the old antenna wire going through the correct place? Any suggestions?

trjford8    -- 08-16-2020 @ 8:54 AM
  If you have the V-8 Club's 38-39 book look at page 8-9. It specifically talks about removing the driver' side visor so you can access the cable. It gives specific instructions on how to insert the cable. If you do not have this book you can purchase it on the front page of this website. As a new owner I really encourage you to have this book. it will give you a mountain of information about your car.

dddunham    -- 08-16-2020 @ 9:47 AM
  I have the "1938-39 Ford Book for passenger cars". You did not specify what section so I looked at sections 1 through 8 but I did not find anything on antennas. On page 7-25 is a short paragraph d. Antenna (radio) assembly ('38 Only---Open Cars) which tells only how the antenna was done originally, not how to remove the original and install a new one.
I have found this book to be more of a how Mr. Ford did it originally book than a how-to book. Do you see another place I should look, chapter and page number?
The only idea I have so far is to remove the dash since the old coax ran between it and another piece of metal, but I do not want to do that without information from someone that knows. My dash is wonderfully wood grained and perfect looking.
I forgot to look in the "Ford Service Bulletins" but will do that now and share anything I find in either place. Thanks for your response.

Kens 36    -- 08-16-2020 @ 10:09 AM
  Section 8
Page 9

Ken

dddunham    -- 08-16-2020 @ 12:24 PM
  I have checked "The 1938-39 Ford Book" including the new reference from Ken, p. 8-9.
There is no 1" hole behind my driver-side sun visor (aftermarket installation?). In any case, that would not get the antenna coax between the dash and the metal in front of it (1/4" away and too close to get the upper coax connector out).
I have looked also at the "Ford 1932-1941 Mercury Shop Repair", the "1938-1948 Ford Service Bulletins", and the 1928-1937 Ford Service Bulletins" without success in learning how to remove a defective antenna lead and install a new one. In addition, I have the instructions that came with the replacement antenna from Dennis Carpenter, which also does not help. Has any poor soul out there ever had to do this?

trjford8    -- 08-16-2020 @ 1:13 PM
  You have to remove the visor completely to get to the 1"hole. It should be there as all the convertible sedans had the visors from the factory.

ford38v8    -- 08-16-2020 @ 1:31 PM
  With respect, the 1938 open cars and wagons did not have visors. The page (8)-9 reference applies only to closed cars.

Alan

dddunham    -- 08-16-2020 @ 1:46 PM
  You are right, Alan. Mine has just 2 screws in the 3 holes of the visor. They were added after purchase.
These are the pictures of my nice dash that I do not want to mar and the driver's windshield post from which I had already removed the sun visor to prevent possible interference from the screws. It shows no 1" hole.
Thanks, folks. But how do I get the old coax out and a new one in?

ford38v8    -- 08-16-2020 @ 2:33 PM
  Those two mounting holes are for the top hold down bracket.
My own radio is the '37 converted to '38, which had been furnished to early '38's, its box mounting over the steering column. My coax does go down the A pillar, not sure if the '38 model radio coax does the same or if it goes down the windshield pillar. If your coax goes down the A pillar, double check the length to see if the new one will reach to the center mounted radio box. Can you picture the 3/4" nut you describe? That doesn't sound right at all.

Alan

fordv8j    -- 08-16-2020 @ 5:07 PM
  I installed one in our 38 conv. coupe, don't recall having a problem, as to removing sun visor, don't know about 4 door conv. but our conv' coupe didn't come with visors

dddunham    -- 08-17-2020 @ 8:02 AM
  Alan,
I had to look up A pillar and I see no difference between A pillar and windshield pillar in reference to my car. It has but one front (winshield) pillar, one removable B pillar, and that is it. Remember it is a convertible. It has no vent windows which might entail another pillar.
The coax is long enough. The pictures are left, the replacement cable, and right, the original cable that I cannot get out because it's (antenna) end will not go between the two metal pieces (dash & firewall or support?) which I cannot picture. Dennis Carpenter says that their kit is exactly the same as the Ford original, although the grounding lug is a bit larger. But this is not my first problem. The end, even of the old cable, will not come out between the crack between dash and other metal piece. The new cable is slimmer because it is plastic coated modern coax, but the ends are about the same.

dddunham    -- 08-17-2020 @ 8:19 AM
  Alan,
What do you mean, on the coupe, the coax came down the A pillar, not the windshield side?
Once you got it down, was there any other barrier between the A pillar and the radio?

dddunham    -- 08-17-2020 @ 8:24 AM
  Alan,
In trying to straighten up the difference between A pillar and windshield side support, I researched, found pictures and there is no difference on either of our cars. There is only one side pillar, the windshield edge.

ford38v8    -- 08-17-2020 @ 9:18 AM
  I apologize for the confusion on pillars. Your first post mentions an instruction to "shove the cable down from the center of the windshield", so it was that windshield center divider that I erroneously referred to as a pillar.
I agree, the transition of the A pillar to dash offers very little wiggle room to fish a cable end through, and it does need to make a hairpin turn at that transition for clearance. I'm afraid I can offer only my best wishes, as my antenna coax is original.

Alan

dddunham    -- 08-18-2020 @ 5:36 PM
  Here are the best pictures of the trapped old cable and the crack it comes through.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14072