Topic: 1936 Brake Rod Support Rubber Grommets

Ketronj281989    -- 08-14-2020 @ 4:20 AM
  I have been servicing the electrical harness underneath the car these last few weeks and came across what is pictured below. These look like old rubber grommets that are far beyond use today. I will need to replace these grommets if they are indeed grommets.

A picture of what is contained in my original 1936 chassis parts list manual states these are the front and rear brake rod supports. The parts list shows the hardware utilized for connecting the supports to the frame, although no rubber grommet is shown or mentioned in this literature.

Two pictures I took of the underside of car shown below are the rear brake rod supports.
Are rubber grommets suppose to be inside the support brackets? One looks like it has melted, the other still present but worn out. The rod is not seated in the structurally sound grommet shown below.

Are these grommets original to the car when it came off the assembly line?

How about replacements, are they available? I have started a slow search of the grommets with no results as of yet.

Jon

This message was edited by Ketronj281989 on 8-14-20 @ 4:21 AM

nelsb01    -- 08-14-2020 @ 6:25 AM
  Yes the brake rod supports are original to the car. There are also ones for the front brake rods, but are slightly different.
You can get new ones from ThirdGenAuto.com
48-2503 and 48-2502 sold in pairs

Hope this helps

Ketronj281989    -- 08-15-2020 @ 4:03 AM
  nelsb01,

Thanks for your reply and information. I checked over at Thirdgenauto, the replacements look great. Is the rubber grommet/metal bracket one piece? No way to use the original brackets on this car with new rubber grommets installed is there?

Thanks

Jon

40 Coupe    -- 08-15-2020 @ 4:14 AM
  The rubber is molded onto the metal so they are one piece.

Don Rogers    -- 08-15-2020 @ 5:37 AM
  Here's a picture of the brake rod supports as shown on page 88 of the V-8 Club's Book "The 1935-36 Ford Book" available on this web site. If your supports are as worn as shown in your photos, you need to do a careful check of the other brake components for wear and deterioration.

Ketronj281989    -- 08-17-2020 @ 5:09 AM
  40 Coupe/Don Rogers,

Thank you both for the replies. Don I carefully review page 88 and see exactly what you are speaking of, thank you. 40 Coupe, thanks for the verification each of these items are one unit. It would be great to re-use the original bracket, although will need to replace the entire unit since your verification.

Don, I looked over the support areas, the deteriorated driver side rear support deterioration has created slight rod wear. Enough wear that friction rub has dug into the metal rod as seen via picture attached. Will review and inspect all rods/supports once into the brake section of the car. I wanted to order the parts needed ahead of time, thank you all.

Pictures attached of my findings. Picture that shows the rod wear, the brake rod looks bent. Is this a factory kink in the rod or damage from the past? These rod supports have never been changed, original 1936 hardware still present. Unbelievable that long term storage has helped to preserve this car in it's original state.

Jon

This message was edited by Ketronj281989 on 8-17-20 @ 5:17 AM

Don Rogers    -- 08-17-2020 @ 7:45 AM
  Rods should be straight with only an angle on the end. See Attached summary sheet.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14066