Topic: 1936 Transmission Oil Question

Ketronj281989    -- 08-14-2020 @ 3:55 AM
  As I continue to gather materials for my Fall service so I may lightly drive the car before winter (projected goal) I am stocking up on needed oils.

The transmission oil is my next question. The car reference manual for 1936 states the gear oil summer S.A.E Viscosity is 160, winter 90-110.

Are these weights still obtainable on todays market? What are your recommendations. I included the lubrication chart I have been looking over.

Thanks,

Jon

nelsb01    -- 08-14-2020 @ 5:49 AM
  Your going to get a lot of different ansuers, but the thing to remember is that you have to look for oil that has a rating of GL-3 or less. Reason for this is the higher number GL does not protect your brass parts in the transmission.
I have found Traveler brand at Tractor Supply with a GL rating of GL-1. It also states on the gallon jug that is for Ford Tractors.
It is SAE 90.
Hope this helps.

carcrazy    -- 08-14-2020 @ 11:07 AM
  You can also purchase SAE 90W Mineral Gear Oil API GL-1 at your local NAPA store. It is available in 1 gallon containers under part number 65-201. If the store doesn't have it in stock, they can order it for you and have it in about a day.

fenbach    -- 08-14-2020 @ 7:56 PM
  GL-3, 75W-90 tranny oil. see

https://slingshot.polaris.com/en-us/shop/maintenance/lubricants/2879440/

or

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Polaris-Slingshot-New-OEM-Transmission-Oil-Lubricant-75w-90-32oz-Quart-2879440/298371557

i found some at a jet ski dealer.

Ketronj281989    -- 08-17-2020 @ 5:24 AM
  Gentleman,

Thank you for your replies. Appreciate all the info and will look into these suggestions further.

Jon

flatheadron    -- 08-23-2020 @ 8:48 AM
  There are a number of areas that I would like to qualify about transmission oil changes before I make my recommendation. First, Ford's recommendation is very vague. The reference to "summer" and "winter" leaves a lot to be desired and was written at a time when these cars were used as everyday transportation. Winter is usually defined as temperatures below 32 degrees F. And the recommendation is for the average temperatures during the period is consistently below 32F. I do not know what area you are in but I find it hard to believe you will be driving your car in that cold of weather. I believe you would be fine using the "summer" oil during the period of time you will be driving your car. Now to the viscosity. Today you will not find SAE160 gear oil. SAE 140 is what we will find today. You may be able to find a multi-viscosity fluid like 90W-140 that would give you the properties you need for both summer and winter use. The recommendations of the others is vey correct, you want a fluid that has an API rating of GL-1 or GL-3. These are basically mineral based oils with no hypoid additives in them. Stay away from fluids labeled GL-4 or GL-5. They contain increasing higher levels of sulfur based additives that are required for hypoid rear axles but can do long term damage to brass parts like the synchronizer rings in a manual transmission.

39 Ken    -- 08-24-2020 @ 7:36 AM
  With respect, GL-4 is NOT harmful to yellow metals in our transmissions.

I use CRC GL-4 in my cars. Having said that, I believe GL-4 from any manufacturer
conform to the basic specs required for this oil and won't harm yellow metal.

Here is an out take from Penn Grade information on their GL-4 gear oil.

" Gear Oil GL-4 SAE 80W-90 is a specially blended using high quality premium mineral base stocks and select additive technologies. It is designed to be used with “yellow” metallurgy (brass, bronze, copper) and other ‘soft’ metals used in synchronizers, bushings, thrust washers and other components typically found in classic manual transmissions and transaxles."

Ken

supereal    -- 08-25-2020 @ 1:32 PM
  Heavier oil reduces the leakage present on most old Fords. It can affect shifting in cold weather when most of us put the vehicle in dry dock waiting for the return of spring. Remember the old Ford saying "If it ain't leaking, it probably needs fixing".

Ketronj281989    -- 08-28-2020 @ 4:04 AM
  Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated.

Jon

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Deluxe Tudor Touring Sedan

Ketronj281989    -- 08-28-2020 @ 4:10 AM
  A lot of what's currently available on the market is 80W-90. Would this be an ok weight to use in the transmission? Would it act as well as an heavier oil? Would it change the characteristics of shifting due to the lighter oil weight?

Thank you,
Jon

Jon Ketron

39 Ken    -- 08-28-2020 @ 4:34 AM
  Jon,
It all depends on your driving season and condition of your transmission.
80W-90 will be fine in in most conditions. However, if your transmission
leaks a lot, and/or you drive in very hot weather, 140w might be a better choice.

Shifting with 140w will be heavier until the transmission warms up, then there's
no difference. If your transmission leaks profusely, then it's probably time for a
rebuild.

CRC Sta-Lube 80w-90 and CRC Sta-Lube 140w is available at NAPA either on the shelf
or they can get it over night for you.
Ken

Ketronj281989    -- 08-28-2020 @ 4:57 AM
  Ken,

I noticed both Sta-lube products you mentioned are for Hypoid gears. Do our cars have hypoid gears? Does the hypoid mention matter for the transmission/rear end?

Thanks,

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 08-29-2020 @ 6:04 PM
  While on the topic, did any of the rear ends of the 1930's Fords have Hypoid gears in them?

Thanks,

Jon Ketron

voced    -- 08-31-2020 @ 4:40 AM
  I have been running 600W that you buy from several of the old car parts dealers and have not had any trouble. Of course, I only drive my cars in warm weather. Is this bad?
Jerry

39 Ken    -- 09-01-2020 @ 4:20 AM
  Jon,
Your '36 doesn't have hypoid gears in the rear rear. Ford started using Hypoid style differential gears( pinion gear below center on the ring gear) starting in 1949.
Ken

39 Ken    -- 09-01-2020 @ 5:33 AM
  Jerry (voced),

You didn't say what year car you have so here is some information regarding gear oil.

600w oil was used in the Model A gearboxes to reduce the considerable leakage. For 1932 the requirements changed to accommodate the synchronizers and newer gear oils were specified from then on. Check your owners manual to see what is recommended for your car.
Some feel that 600W is actually more asphalt than oil. It is still sold by some suppliers as being for Fords up to 1948 (as indicated on the container), but it should not be used in a Ford after 1931. I suspect that marking the container as usable up to '48 is a "sales tool" to sell more product.
Ken

voced    -- 09-01-2020 @ 5:46 AM
  Thanks Ken;
I will change it out with the newer oils.
Jerry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14065