Topic: cooling system '37 flathead

flatfoot    -- 08-10-2020 @ 10:15 AM
  I have to fill the radiator each time I take the car out on a run. About 3/4 of a gallon. No leaks, engine overhaul complete about 800 hundred miles ago by Vern Tardel, Santa Rosa, Ca. I'm at a loss as to why? It runs great. I cannot figure out where it is disappearing. The radiator was just redone and about a year ago I had an extra row of rods installed. Anybody got an idea?

1931 Flamingo    -- 08-10-2020 @ 10:21 AM
  How high are you filling it??
Paul in CT

MG    -- 08-10-2020 @ 10:26 AM
  This is common with our old Fords. The coolant expands when heated and goes out of the overflow tube. The coolant finds is own level and once found usually remains at that level. 3/4 of a gallon is a minor loss considering the large capacity of the cooling system.

carcrazy    -- 08-10-2020 @ 2:18 PM
  Each Flathead will tell you how much coolant it wants. My Flatheads like to have the coolant level in the radiator to be between 1/2" to 1" above the radiator core. Any more than that will just get pushed out of the overflow tube.

37 Coupe    -- 08-10-2020 @ 7:10 PM
  When I finished my '37 Ford 12 years ago already ,I had coolant coming out of the overflow tube no matter how low in radiator what I found to solve the problem was to replace the stock looking original type radiator cap with a 4lb cap that fit radiator neck and no issues since. I cannot remember which vendor I got it from mayby Mac's at the time. I actually cannot believe that no one else has posted this,must be a sign of the times.Aging members or "this has been addressed before like oil". When I had this problem many posted my response. I was about to buy the reief valve that is advertised or used to be in V8 Times and quite a few told me the same relief can be accomplished by useing a 4 lb cap that will fit neck.Mayby my situation was different because I used a NOS radiator that would work for '37-'38 and '39 standard and neck was different than stock '37.It is a NOS Genuine Ford radiator but listed as 81A.

This message was edited by 37 Coupe on 8-12-20 @ 8:55 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14058