Topic: Balancing wide 5 wheels.

rtreeder    -- 08-06-2020 @ 2:29 PM
  Thanks for letting me join. I've got wheels from a 1937-1938 sedan, & I'm having a hard time finding a place that can balance them. I've tried Discount, Big-O, etc., & they do not have a cone or centering affair to let them spin balance the wheels, much less bubble balance them. Where do you owners of late 1930's Fords with the wide 5 wheels go to get them balanced? I live in the Phoenix, Arizona area. Thanks in advance.
-Rich Reeder, 1428.THU.6.AUG.2020(MST), r.reeder@netzero.net

kubes40    -- 08-06-2020 @ 2:36 PM
  Rich,
You'll need an adapter plate made specifically for this purpose. I seem to recall the Speedway sold them. You MUST have the plate balanced at a machine shop prior to putting it in use. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.
If you lived closer, you could use mine...

When the plate has been balanced and you bring the tires, tubes, plate and FIVE lug nuts to your shop, be 100% CERTAIN they utilize ALL five lug nuts.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

rtreeder    -- 08-06-2020 @ 2:48 PM
  Thanks for the reply & advice. How does one go about making an adapter plate? Or can they be purchased somewhere? Oops, I just saw that Speedway sells them, maybe. Do you have contact info for Speedway? Thanks.

-Rich Reeder, Mesa, Arizona.

This message was edited by rtreeder on 8-6-20 @ 2:50 PM

juergen    -- 08-06-2020 @ 3:04 PM
  I found a truck repair place that still does spin balance. I put the wheels on the front and made sure there was no drag . He spun balanced the entire wheel tire and it drives smoothly at 65 mph/

rtreeder    -- 08-06-2020 @ 3:12 PM
  Thanks. What's your location? I finally found a place called The Speedway, & it sells an adapter plate to reduce the wide-5 bolt pattern to a modern bolt configuration. Perhaps it could be used on a spin balancing machine such as found at Discount or Big-O. (?)

51504bat    -- 08-06-2020 @ 3:28 PM
  Balance beads are another option.

rtreeder    -- 08-06-2020 @ 3:46 PM
  Do Balance Beads service a tube type tire? Thanks.

kubes40    -- 08-06-2020 @ 5:15 PM
  Rich, Get the adapter plate and bring it, along with your tires, tubes and five lugs to whomever would normally install your tires.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

51504bat    -- 08-06-2020 @ 5:22 PM
  Never have used balance beads but I've heard they can be used in tubes but a PITA to fill the tube via the valve stem.

rtreeder    -- 08-06-2020 @ 6:18 PM
  Thanks.

rtreeder    -- 08-14-2020 @ 12:09 PM
  =====================================
Rich,
You'll need an adapter plate made specifically for this purpose. I seem to recall the Speedway sold them. You MUST have the plate balanced at a machine shop prior to putting it in use. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.
If you lived closer, you could use mine...

When the plate has been balanced and you bring the tires, tubes, plate and FIVE lug nuts to your shop, be 100% CERTAIN they utilize ALL five lug nuts.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

=================================

Kube, et.al.

I picked up an adapter from Speedway, however, the bolts that are on that thing are somewhat large, & the wheel lug nuts are too small for them. I was going to go to a hardware store to see if I could pick up nuts that will fit the bolts, & then have the tire shop balance just the adapter first, by putting on those weights that stick on, then use it & the large nuts to balance the wheel/tire. Or, am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks.

kubes40    -- 08-14-2020 @ 12:44 PM
  Rich,
I'd suggest you go to an auto parts store and purchase five lug nuts of the size needed to fit the adapter plate. Typical nuts with no taper to seat them in the center won't work for you.

I never thought to have that plate balanced at a tire shop. I'd be much more inclined to have a machine shop do it. That way, you can be reasonably assured it is accurate.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

51504bat    -- 08-14-2020 @ 1:20 PM
  Problem with the Speedway wide five adapter is that it uses 5/8 inch studs. I read somewhere, either on the HAMB or the Ford Barn that there is a Dorman 1/2 inch wheel stud that has a larger shank that can be used to replace the 5/8 inch studs on the Speedway adapter.

fordv8j    -- 08-14-2020 @ 5:06 PM
  All you need is a front brake drum with the bearings removed, this eill fit on the spin balancers, use all 5 lug nuts, balance the drum first using stick on weights, then mount wheels and balance them; worked for me twice

rtreeder    -- 08-14-2020 @ 9:01 PM
  =======================================
All you need is a front brake drum with the bearings removed, this eill fit on the spin balancers, use all 5 lug nuts, balance the drum first using stick on weights, then mount wheels and balance them; worked for me twice

Problem with the Speedway wide five adapter is that it uses 5/8 inch studs. I read somewhere, either on the HAMB or the Ford Barn that there is a Dorman 1/2 inch wheel stud that has a larger shank that can be used to replace the 5/8 inch studs on the Speedway adapter.
=======================================

fordv8j, 51504bat, et. al.:

I picked up a Speedway adapter, & the adapters studs make for a snug fit on the wheel. There is no slop, no moving around when that adapter is in those lug holes. Even without the lug nuts, there is just no movement. I think the wheel will be centered even using plain nuts. I will attempt to get bona-fide lug nuts for those bigger bolts, but if I can not, then I will get regular nuts to fit. I will see if the tire place can make this happen, & tell you all what the result is. Thanks for the brake drum info, & if the adapter doesn't work, I'll go that route. Thanks again.

rtreeder    -- 08-15-2020 @ 7:26 PM
  So here is what I did: The Speedway adapter has 5/8 inch bolts in it, & I was able to get 5/8 inch wheel lug nuts for it. So, as far as fit is concerned, it's a perfect match. The tire shop tried to balance the adapter, but their spin balance machine couldn't even sense that it was mounted, so I couldn't balance the adapter at the tire shop. They went ahead & put the wheel/tire/adapter on their spin balance machine, & balanced it. I suggested to them to take the adapter off, & turn it 2 lug holes, tighten the lug nuts again, & spin balance it again. If it didn't need to be rebalanced, then we could assume the adapter was in balance & the wheel, therefore, was in balance. This turned out to be the case.

I want to thank all that gave me their opinions & suggestions. Hopefully, I can return the favor some day.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14051