Topic: Best Authentic Reproduction Harness Available?

Ketronj281989    -- 08-02-2020 @ 4:34 PM
  Thank you all for the welcome and comments regarding my recent introduction to the club. I have officially started servicing the car with a goal to achieve maximum factory performance of all features the car has to offer. The electrical system will need looked at first. Upon reviewing the car prior to purchase, I knew the electrical system would need troubleshooting and eventually a completely brand new wiring harness installed. The original is very worn, although all still intact and somewhat preserved. It is electrically unsafe though, much of the wire insulation is frayed or missing. Right now I am troubleshooting the original harness to figure out why the lamps are not working. I discovered the single fuse in the car was blown, so I am currently tracing the circuit to find where the short is and then repair it.

My goal is to keep this car as stock as possible, this also pertains to reproduction parts. If repro's are in need, I want to use the best available correct reproductions on the market. I am in need of an entirely new harness and wanted to inquire with your experience in early Fords as to what your recommendations are?

I have looked over Bob Drake, Macs, Obsolete & classic auto parts, Midwest early ford, Dennis Carpenter, and Early Ford V8 Sales. Most all sites appear to have visually identical harnesses available when clicking on those site's pictures.

I want the most accurate and best quality, what would you all recommend regarding a 1936 model 68 car? Is there a finer harness available that is privately manufactured and not offered on websites?

Thanks,

Jon

This message was edited by Ketronj281989 on 8-2-20 @ 4:36 PM

51504bat    -- 08-02-2020 @ 5:59 PM
  Lots of sources for wiring harnesses from universal to exact fit. If you want high quality 100% original wiring check out YNZ wiring in Redlands, CA Not cheap but top notch. They will even customize the harness if you want to stray a bit and add turn signals.
https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/
Sales & Customer Service
(909) 798-1498
24 Hour Fax Line
(909) 335-6237
SMS/Text Messaging
(909) 307-4478
As far as a parts supplier, my go to source is Joe's Antique Auto in Uxbridge, MA
Joe knows his stuff, he's a nice guy, his prices are fair, and shipping is fast and reasonable.
https://www.joesantiqueauto.com/
Order By Phone and Support
1-508-278-3980
Order Toll Free
1-800-508-3980
Of course there are other reputable suppliers but the one I stay away from if at all possible is Mac's. Don't confuse Mac's with Mac Van Pelt. Mac Van Pelt is a great source for all things trans related and other parts as well. His web site
https://www.vanpeltsalesstore.com/
contains a wealth of info related to early Fords.

1940 Tom    -- 08-02-2020 @ 6:23 PM
  Good Evening Jon--

Give California Vintage Ford a try (formerly Sacramento Vintage Ford). I got the wiring harness for my 1940 Sedan from them with no problems.

Check "vintageford.com" then do a search under "wiring" for your model year. Give them a call if you need further help.

I have no problems with "the usual suspects" that you listed in your email, and have purchased parts from just about all of them.

Good Luck.

Tom

3w2    -- 08-02-2020 @ 6:43 PM
  I use NOS wiring whenever possible, but if not, I find that Rhode Island Wiring has no peers, especially in the details when authenticity is important.

RIrover    -- 08-02-2020 @ 6:53 PM
  R.I. wiring is great

regards,
David B Campbell

TomO    -- 08-03-2020 @ 7:04 AM
  Another vote for Rhode Island Wiring.

Tom

Ketronj281989    -- 08-06-2020 @ 5:02 AM
  Thank you all for the suggestions, really appreciate all the input. I will start calling around!

Jon

trjford8    -- 08-08-2020 @ 8:44 AM
  Something to consider is getting a harness that has the wires for turn signals. I realize that turn signals were not stock in 1936 , but in today's world darn few of the younger generations understand hand signals.

therunwaybehind    -- 08-08-2020 @ 9:28 AM
  I don't know Mac Van Pelt. Isn't his real name Mark Van Pelt? That is what is given as the author on his book about the Early Ford V-8 transmission.

Ketronj281989    -- 08-10-2020 @ 6:05 AM
  trjford8,

Thank you for the pointers, I would agree my generation would have no clue. Two different era's of technology. This car has never had turn signal's on it. I am at a crossroad as to whether add them or leave the car as factory. Something that needs further thought down the road.

Jon

Ketronj281989    -- 08-10-2020 @ 6:08 AM
  therunwaybehind,

Van Pelt Sales LLC has been a great resource for information regarding these early Ford V8 cars. I have downloaded just about all of the information relating to the 1936 year car off his website. I also went ahead and purchased his transmission re-build book. Absolutely a fine printing of information regarding the transmission.

I don't know if he deals in auto harnesses. May be worth a shot asking.

Jon

trjford8    -- 08-10-2020 @ 7:03 AM
  Jon, if you are moving to Kentucky you might check with their DMV to see if turn signals are required. Do that before ordering your harness. States have different rules regarding old cars and some require safety checks before you can register them.

silverchief    -- 08-10-2020 @ 8:32 AM
  Another vote for Rhode Island Wiring.

Also, unless you are planning on entering your car into concours contests, in todays high speed dangerous traffic you are foolish not to install turn signals. No real old car enthusiast is going to criticize you for adding them.

3w2    -- 08-10-2020 @ 10:49 AM
  And if your vehicle is a standard passenger car model or commercial vehicle, give serious consideration to adding a tail lamp on the right side to match the one on the left side that was originally standard euipment.

Ketronj281989    -- 08-11-2020 @ 4:15 AM
  trjford8,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into the law for Kentucky, I have been a resident of Kentucky for 7 years now. I don't think there is a turn signal law, worth looking into for sure.

One interesting thing to note. I took the car around the block to test it's current characteristics before putting it in the garage for servicing about a month ago. Upon my hand signal use at intersections, people were so confused, they just let me go first. Perhaps its the old car handicap. Received a lot of looks, that's for sure. This is my first 1930's car. A brand new experience for me!

Jon

Ketronj281989    -- 08-11-2020 @ 4:19 AM
  silverchief,

Thank you for your harness suggestion as well as comments regarding turn signals. Do you know if Rhode Island Wire provides all the metal connecting tabs utilized as such on the connecting points at the headlamps, those two at the brake light switch, and rear end areas?

Thanks,

Jon

Ketronj281989    -- 08-11-2020 @ 4:21 AM
  3w2,

Great suggestion. Lucky this car is a deluxe with two factory tail lights.

Jon

3w2    -- 08-11-2020 @ 9:34 AM
  The Rhode Island Wiring harnesses are as original, that is all of the end-of-wire connections and pins are in place.

Ketronj281989    -- 08-11-2020 @ 10:13 AM
  3w2,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to give these guys a call soon. Many of you on this site as well as the Ford Barn have recommended Rhode Island Wire.

Jon

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14038