Topic: Stuck Clutch

HalB    -- 07-30-2020 @ 8:25 AM
  Anyone have any easy ideas to unstick the clutch from the flywheel?

alanwoodieman    -- 07-30-2020 @ 8:48 AM
  give us the facts--how long? what storage conditions? wet/dry? what year car/engine

Barney    -- 07-30-2020 @ 9:45 AM
  Try this: Place rear axle on stable jack stands keeping tires off the floor. Place transmission in 1st gear. Start engine - rear wheel(s) will be rotating as expected. Depress clutch pedal (disengage). Normally, wheels will stop rotating, but will keep rotating in this case.
While clutch pedal is depressed, tap on the brake. You may need to be a bit aggressive with this process, even to the point of increasing the engine RPMs passed a normal idle speed, but don't go crazy. If it's really, really stuck, it may be wise to disassemble. But before doing all this, ensure the clutch linkage is doing what it is expected to do. Visually ensure the clutch fork is moving sufficiently, etc.
Barney

40cpe    -- 07-30-2020 @ 10:45 AM
  I had a tractor clutch stuck. I blocked the pedal down and drove the tractor while jabbing the brakes, up and down hill, etc. It didn't break loose, so I parked the tractor for a few days with the pedal blocked down. Next time i started the tractor it didn't go 20 fee before it broke loose. I think blocking the pedal down for a period of time allows the disc to "relax" its hold to the flywheel.

MG    -- 07-30-2020 @ 11:01 AM
  Place a chock blocks front and rear - front of front tire and rear of rear tire. Set emergency brake. Keeping the clutch pedal depressed and ignition switch off, put transmission in first gear and hit starter botton. If it doesn't break free put the tranny in reverse and again with the clutch depressed and ignition off, hit the starter button again . Repeat this procedure until it breaks free. Do this procedure with the ignition switch OFF and clutch pedal depressed....

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-30-2020 @ 11:02 AM
  hi
I had to free up a 35 coupe clutch that I was working on for a customer.
I warmed up the engine, first
then put into reverse to back out of garage and started it in gear,
BE SURE TO HAVE YOU HAND ON THE IGNITION SWITCH, for EMERGENCY ...!!!!!!!!!!!
when I got out in the road, I turned the engine off,
put into first then restarted the engine in gear, it creeped forward.
held the clutch pedal to the floor,and gave it gas,
and it broke free, and I might have used 2 nd gear,
I have done this with a few Fords, including my 31 Model A FORD,
JUST MAKE SURE there is NO TRAFFIC, !!!! hope this helps 37Ragopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14031