Topic: General Tire Question

Dream38v8    -- 07-30-2020 @ 7:00 AM
  I am attempting to determine when and if I should buy new tires for my '38 Fordor Deluxe Sedan. The whitewalls are severely cracked, the tread (not worn or cracked) or the inside of the tire are also not cracked. I have had the '38 since May 2016 and the whitewalls were cracked at that time. The question is not do I purchase radial or bias ply, but do I buy new tires. My '38 is driven less than 1000 miles per year and garage kept. Most trips are weekend jaunts approximately 50 miles or AACA tours of about 100 miles.

I appreciated your previous posts to assist me with my '38. I look forward to your thoughtful comments regarding the tires.

Ray

Ray

Big Red 51    -- 07-30-2020 @ 7:27 AM
  Ray, In that condition, I would definitely get fresh un-cracked tires, especially if you are doing runs of 100 miles. That presents a risk.
Less than a year ago, on here or the Barn site, I saw a very nice '40 Coupe burned to a crisp on the highway, reported as caused by an old tire (left rear) blowing and rupering the gas tank filler spout and , therefore, a fire.
I personally would not risk it.
Best Regards, Don

kubes40    -- 07-30-2020 @ 7:47 AM
  I too would buy new tires. Keep them off the ground when in long term storage to lengthen life.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 07-30-2020 @ 8:02 AM
  I also go along with you buying new tires, especially if you have no idea of how old they may be. Some years ago a good friend was on a tour with our group and on our way home a chunk of tread flew off his rear tire. Interestingly the tire looked good(no cracking or checking with good tread) but he admitted they were 20 years old. It's definitely time for you to get new tires.

HalB    -- 07-31-2020 @ 7:33 PM
  Thank you for all your advise.... All good. Works great.

Dream38v8    -- 08-03-2020 @ 10:52 AM
  Just a quick thank you for your everyones advise. My "gut" feeling was I needed new tires. You all confirmed my assumption. As the driving season is on the downside of the hill I will probably wait until next spring. Our local AACA has stopped tours for the foreseeable future. My trips are short with very limited highway use and speed. Hence early 2021 for tires.

Ray

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14030