Topic: Aftermarket Gauges

42Flattman    -- 07-26-2020 @ 12:59 PM
  Looking for info/ideas......’42 Tudor Sedan....still orig 6 volt...looking to possibly add aftermarket classic/vintage looking gauges....2 temperature gauges and a fuel gauge ....something in a tan or ivory....where are some good places to shop for these ? (Any creative ideas vs mounting them under the dash ?)
Thanks for the input !

carcrazy    -- 07-26-2020 @ 3:53 PM
  Why not just buy Stewart Warner mechanical gauges and mount them in a panel beneath the dash? You will find that these mechanical gauges (water temp., oil pressure, etc.) are more accurate than the original electrical gauges.

FordFreak    -- 07-26-2020 @ 3:56 PM
  That is just what I did . AutoMeter has some nice old school looking gauges . I got mine from Summit . - F F

42Flattman    -- 07-26-2020 @ 4:03 PM
  Sorry, guess I wasn't clear....that is what I am thinking of doing.....just wanted to get vintage looking faces on the gauges and for some reason wasn't having alot of luck.....I will see what I might be able to find in Stewart-Warner.....and I see the next post mentions Summit so I will look there again.....I must have missed something.
Thanks for the reply !

50CaPU    -- 07-26-2020 @ 5:21 PM
  There are a couple of other choices out there for the vintage gauge look.
These were economical Stewart Warner Wings gauges that I had for another project, I would have preferred other than white but.......the gauge needle kind of looked like the speedo needle.
The two gauge cast aluminum panel I bought used. I used a flat piece of alum. to make a bar to clamp the panel to the lower lip of the dash so I could avoid drilling holes.

Tim
Downtown, Ca
PS
The switch is for the Columbia-both gauges are mechanical. The temp gauge is installed on the right side.

This message was edited by 50CaPU on 7-27-20 @ 8:50 PM

42Flattman    -- 07-27-2020 @ 4:50 AM
  Looks good......I assume the switch is for the left & right temp senders ?

42Flattman    -- 07-27-2020 @ 6:14 AM
  FordFreak.......do those (or any) of the gauges work ok on 6v pos grnd system ? Does it even matter other than the bulbs for illumination ? (I am not a mechanic so please bear with me as I have alot to learn on this)
Thanks

51woodie    -- 07-27-2020 @ 8:11 AM
  There are numerous manufacturers and suppliers out there to choose from. Here is a link to one, that may have what you want/
https://shop.classicinstruments.com/vintage-series-2

I wasn't too worried about matching the instrument in my '46 Coupe, but I could have bought gauges that looked a bit closer to the period at a higher cost. My gauges are all mechanical, so the voltage doesn't matter. The fuel gauges from Classic Instruments are available to match the resistance of the fuel sender, but I'm not sure what voltage they can match.

FordFreak    -- 07-27-2020 @ 8:17 AM
  42 - Only the lights are powered electrically on mechanical type gauges . You should change the bulbs to 6 volts .
The gauges I put in my '52 F1 pickup are by AutoMeter . They look like something from the aftermarket in the 60's , & were reasonably priced . I didn't have to change the bulbs because my truck was converted to 12 volts before I got it .- F F

TomO    -- 07-27-2020 @ 8:44 AM
  I am curious as to why you want or need add on gauges in a 1942 car. The original gauges should provide all the information that you need. If they are not working, they can be repaired or replaced.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 07-27-2020 @ 9:07 PM
  Tom, that’s what I was thinking too. What purpose is served by duplicate gages giving the same info? Why clutter the classic look of the interior with tacked-on, teenager, aftermarket stuff?

mfirth    -- 07-28-2020 @ 4:36 AM
  50 capu, i really like your gage panel.......very nice.

50CaPU    -- 07-28-2020 @ 5:58 AM
  Sad to read other V8 clubbers belittle one another for a choice made on their car.
Tim

Tim
Downtown, Ca

TomO    -- 07-28-2020 @ 7:19 AM
  Tim, I was not belittling you or 42Flatman or other people that have add on gauges, I just wanted to know his reason and find out if I could help.

There are valid reasons to add on aftermarket gauges. I think that you did a nice job of adding them to your vehicle.

Tom

50CaPU    -- 07-28-2020 @ 7:45 AM
  Tom,
No offense taken, we should encourage questions, sharing ideas, and sharing relevant thoughts.

IMO the community of V8 ers has always been a cut above.

Tim
Downtown, Ca

carcrazy    -- 07-28-2020 @ 9:17 AM
  How about mounting a tachometer where the clock was originally located in a '53?

42Flattman    -- 07-28-2020 @ 11:36 AM
  A somewhat tacky response JayChicago.....definitely not a teenager nor am I looking to clutter up the dash.....I prefer it stay original.....thought I was having issues with 2 of my gauges so was considering options in case I needed to replace.......and it appears Tom has educated me to the fact that the old ones can be fixed......an option I didn't realize was available.....that is why I ask questions here.....I have only owned the old car about 6 weeks or so and it is all new to me so I am learning as I go. Appreciate your interest though.

JayChicago    -- 07-28-2020 @ 11:54 AM
  Now I like that tach in the clock opening. Looks like it belongs there.

I apologize for my too-critical comment above. Was expressing my take on this, but of course that’s just one dope’s personal opinion. And I do agree everyone should feel free to do what they like, make it their own special car.

42Flattman    -- 07-28-2020 @ 1:15 PM
  It's cool Jay....no prob.

42Flattman    -- 07-28-2020 @ 1:20 PM
  TomO.......don't really want to install additional gauges....and not 100% sure yet that they are the problem....working on it though.....where would a fella get replacements for the originals or get repaired should I need to go that direction ?
Thanks

carcrazy    -- 07-28-2020 @ 1:26 PM
  Here is a gauge panel mounted below the dash that includes three mechanical gauges. The water temperature gauge is to keep an eye on up to date changes in coolant temperature as the car climbs hills or encounters high ambient temperatures. The oil pressure gauge is to provide an accurate reading of oil pressure when the car is at idle after highway trips, when the original electrical gauge reads zero, I can be assured everything is OK as the mechanical gauge reads 20 PSI. The vacuum gauge shows how hard the engine is working and whether or not the power valve is open using more fuel.

trjford8    -- 07-28-2020 @ 1:58 PM
  Check e-Bay or with Michael Driskell at Third Gen Automotive( 844-327-5988). New old stock gauges are out there. I suspect you can buy them for about the same price as new aftermarket gauges. If you are having fuel gauge issues you could have a bad float or a poor ground . It may not be the gauge itself.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 7-28-20 @ 2:00 PM

39 Ken    -- 07-29-2020 @ 4:00 AM
  There is a guy on the "Ford Barn" for sale site that goes by the handle of ROUTE66KIX. He has NOS gauges for various years at reasonable prices. Check with him. He may have what you need.
Ken

This message was edited by 39 Ken on 7-30-20 @ 3:35 AM

JayChicago    -- 07-29-2020 @ 6:48 AM
  42Flatman
If a gauge reading does prove to be inaccurate, my first suspect would be a faulty sending unit before the gauge itself.
To check temperature accuracy, a hand held infrared thermometer gun is a very handy tool to have in the old-car hobby. Only about $20. With this you can take actual readings on the engine thermostat housing, radiator, etc.
To check fuel gauge accuracy on a newly squired car, I drive till empty one time (with a gas can in the trunk) to learn what the gauge reads when tank goes empty.

TomO    -- 07-29-2020 @ 8:16 AM
  In most cases the gauge is working fine, it is the sending unit that is not working.

To test the temperature gauge,
turn on the ignition switch the gauge should move from hot to cold.
If it doesn't, connect a jumper wire from the wire on the 2 terminal sending unit that goes to the gauge to ground. Turn on the ignition switch. The gauge needle should move from hot to cold.

Incorrect hot or erratic readings can be caused by the 2 terminal sending unit. It is just a cold/hot switch that lets you know when the engine is too hot to operate. The switch is normally closed until the temp get to the boiling point, then it opens and the gauge goes to HOT.

The original KS single terminal unit, has a electrically heated element that pulses to control the current in the circuit. The dash unit has a matching circuit that controls the needle. The engine unit requires a good ground, so Teflon tape or sealing compound should not be used on the threads of any of the sending units.

Look for the letters KS in a circle on the sending units for the most accurate readings.

Tom

51woodie    -- 07-29-2020 @ 8:57 AM
  I installed the mechanical gauges in my ‘46 because the original gauges for oil and temperature were not working when I bought the car. I have since repaired the dash gauges, thanks to support from the members on this site.

51woodie    -- 07-29-2020 @ 9:28 AM
  A suggestion when troubleshooting gauges. When you turn on the ignition to activate the gauges, the coil and points are powered up unless both sets of points are open. I disconnect the primary lead to the coil when I work on my gauges to prevent damage.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14022