Topic: Hot solenoid

46coupe    -- 07-25-2020 @ 9:00 AM
  Hi everyone,
My 46 has been running great. The starter was a little slow at startup and it didn't restart after it got hot. I went down the spacer and heat tape road a few years ago and thought it was better. However, after reading the posts about wiring I thought I would get some OO or# 1 wire and make up a starting circuit set. Went to the welding shop and all they had was#1 and I bought one wire for the battery to starter and one for the solenoid to starter since all wiring was 12V. I did not buy some wire for the pos to solenoid, it's still 12v dia. So I built the wires and installed rhem, connections are all tight. I tested the car and the starter would hardly turn over. Checked the battery and it showed 6.2 volts. Checked the connections and all were tight. Put my hand on the solenoid terminal that goes to the starter and it was HOT. So Monday I will get another wire for the pos to solenoid.
Was my mistake not replacing that wire? Yes I should have for a proper test, but I thought that the two new ones would show failure. Before the change all the wires were 12v and the solenoid was ok. as far as I know. I assume that I put too much load on the starter by doing this and that resulted in hardly turning over. Yes it was a bonehead thing but the two I replaced needed it.
I guess I'm asking that by having all correct guage wiring the starter should turn better or faster than before the wire change, all other things being equal.

JT Ford    -- 07-25-2020 @ 10:12 AM
  The positive post on the battery goes to Ground!

46coupe    -- 07-25-2020 @ 11:36 AM
  Sorry. Thought I had said the system was converted to neg ground.

Bill E Bob    -- 07-25-2020 @ 11:53 AM
  As I understand your post, you have changed 12v starter circuit wiring to heavier gauge for 6v application.
If you are using a 6v battery/system it is usually set up as positive ground. If set up as negative ground, that may be your problem. It will work, but not as well.

Aim low--Achieve your goals.

46coupe    -- 07-25-2020 @ 12:11 PM
  I understood that a 6volt battery pos ground could be changed to a 6volt neg ground and I had to polarize the voltage reg which I did. I’ve driven the car with 12 volt type wiring and neg ground for several years and no problems. I just tried putting #1 wiring on the starting system, leaving one smaller dia on in the circuit. By doing this my solenoid started getting hot. The side of the solenoid that gets hot is the wire from the solenoid to starter ground.

46coupe    -- 07-25-2020 @ 2:58 PM
  Update. Found the problem after I returned home. A connection had failed. Once repaired the car started right up and no hot solenoid. I’m still going to buy the wire that goes from the battery to the other side of the solenoid. I want them all pulling the correct current for a 6 volt system and possibly help with my no restart problem in hot weather.
I’ve read that there are other things I have to check. Now I can begin. Have a good safe weekend.

victorb    -- 07-25-2020 @ 4:12 PM
  Which connection failed?

46coupe    -- 07-26-2020 @ 7:07 AM
  From solenoid to starter. The wire had crimped and pulled out a little. After I try the new wire from the pos to solenoid, I'll take everything apart and solder all connections. Right now I just want to see if the starter turns over faster and correct vapor lock with the new right sized wires. If not, I'll pursue other avenues per the suggestions on this link.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14019