Topic: Fail to run uphill

crapr3@yahoo.com    -- 07-24-2020 @ 11:13 AM
  Stock 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe run perfect on flat land but runs out of gas going up hill

len47merc    -- 07-24-2020 @ 11:30 AM
  Check for air leaks in fuel line and/or collapsed flex hose. Resolved exact same issue on my '47 59AB by removing glass bowl on fuel pump, removing and cleaning seal, flipped seal over, reinstalled it and fully tightened glass bowl back on. Instant fix and only cost me time.

Steve

51woodie    -- 07-24-2020 @ 12:27 PM
  My Grandfather had a Model T that did that too. My '46 SD Coupe had a fuel problem, and the answer was as len47 wrote, the glass bowel gasket was the problem. Replace the gasket and or tighten the retainer.

carcrazy    -- 07-24-2020 @ 12:29 PM
  It definitely sounds like a fuel feed problem. The advice given in the previous post is excellent. You also might want to check the level of fuel in the gas tank.

crapr3@yahoo.com    -- 07-24-2020 @ 2:23 PM
  Thanks guys I will try it Monday

supereal    -- 07-25-2020 @ 11:44 AM
  I have found that the pickup tube in the gas tank is often the cause. It can rot and fall apart after years of service.If the problem occurs when the tank is less than half full, I'd check that by filling the tank when the problem happens to see if the problems goes away.

len47merc    -- 07-28-2020 @ 11:18 AM
  cr*pr3@yahoo.com - your problem is a common one that is asked of this Forum frequently. I am sure everyone would be interested to know what you tried, what the results were with each idea, what you found to be root cause and what your final fix was that ultimately put the problem to bed. If you don't mind sharing and thanks in advance.

Steve

TomO    -- 07-29-2020 @ 8:20 AM
  51Woodie, the fix for the Model T and the Model A was to back up the hill so that the gas tank was above the carburetor. My Dad told me a story about going up Pikes Peak in a brand new 1928 Model A. He had to back up all of the way.

Tom

51woodie    -- 07-29-2020 @ 8:48 AM
  I knew that Tom. I also remember him backing up a little hill beside his house to park it, so he could “bump start” it, instead of having to crank start. In real cold weather, he would sometimes drain the engine oil after a trip to town, and leave the pail by the wood stove to keep it warm, then refill for the next trip.

therunwaybehind    -- 07-29-2020 @ 9:51 AM
  In a Model A the gas tank in the cowl is above the carburetor, which is under the intake manifold and is an updraft. In the Model T the gas tank was under the seat and my grandfather and my mother told stories about backing up hills not just because of that but also because the gear ratio is higher in reverse. (New York upstate ridges and the dugway coming out of Rochester near Irondequoit.) Not really germane to the V-8 which first had it's gas tank under the back bumper and spare tire and had a fuel pump and a down draft carburetor that sat on top of the valve cover.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14017