Topic: A little help ?

OLDTMR    -- 07-23-2020 @ 9:46 AM
  Not being a " mental giant" electrically speaking, I wonder if someone can give a little help ? The vehicle I have came with a "powermaster" alternator and it appears to be hooked up correctly. The ammeter always shows discharge, shouldn't it be positive when engine is running ? A couple days ago, it acted like the battery was run down. I put a charger on it all day long and according to the charger it only went to 67 % Checked with a hydrometer this AM and looked like all three cells were in the red, took it to NAPA today and with their tester it showed it to be fine even with draw ! Just put it back in after also taking the starter off thinking that was an issue and it started right up . What to heck is going on here ?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-23-2020 @ 10:29 AM
  HI
did you check to see if the wire going to the ALT is hot,
ALT has to have electric going to it to work, is it a ONE wire hook up?
you could take off and bring to a auto electric shop and have tested. to be sure,
if you hooked up it incorrectly you could have damaged it,
battery positive ground ?
is it 6 volts ?
any more info ?
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

OLDTMR    -- 07-23-2020 @ 4:50 PM
  Ragman, positive ground,wired as I got it, single wire to alternator. Very limited on places to get this looked at in my area. Thought I might get more suggestions here ? I'll keep plugging away and thanks to you, B

51504bat    -- 07-23-2020 @ 5:20 PM
  Before I converted my '39 p/u to 12 volts I had to replace some of the old 6 volt wiring. My amp meter was the pass through type and I ran the wire through the back of the amp meter in the wrong direction. As a result it showed a discharge when the engine was running. I reversed the direction of the wire and the gauge now showed that it was charging. I believe the same thing applies to amp meters with 2 studs on the back. Just a thought.

TomO    -- 07-24-2020 @ 7:07 AM
  What year is your vehicle? When trouble shooting a problem the year and model of the vehicle is important. The wiring diagrams for each year have some important differences, so we need to know if the vehicle has stock wiring or home made or some other type of wiring.

Here is a link to the instruction sheet for a 6 volt pos ground one wire alternator. Pay particular attention to the charging wire size and the grounding instructions.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/PowerGEN_6_v_p.pdf

If you have a voltmeter, you can connect the black (com) lead to the output terminal of the alt and the red(+) lead to a good ground. with the engine running you should have 7.2-7.4 volts at the output. If the reading is lower, try increasing the rpm to at least 30 mph (1,200 rpm). If the meter reading is still lower, the alternator should be checked out by a rebuilding service. If the reading is higher, you internal voltage regulator is bad.

Tom

dandy32    -- 07-24-2020 @ 12:54 PM
  Just my HO get rid of the amp meter and go with A volt meter the old amp meters are not able to handle the extra amps your more modern alternator will put out. The old systems are putting out only 30 amps the alternator will be putting out somewhere at 60-65 at idle and up to 95 at highway speed. You dont wanna say I Smell Something Burning

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14013