Topic: Column Drop Remove

hardtop25    -- 07-22-2020 @ 7:00 PM
  I'd like to remove my column drop from one steering tube then mount it on another. Is soaking, drilling, easy-out the only way to separate the pieces? Thanks.

40 Coupe    -- 07-23-2020 @ 3:52 AM
  Yes. just one headless bolt and make sure the lock bolt inside the drop is retracted (unlocked)

JM    -- 07-25-2020 @ 4:52 AM
  I don't care to use an easy out on that one headless bolt that clamps the drop to the column tube. I prefer drilling a series of small holes across the center of that headless bolt to form a flat blade screwdriver slot. Then use a hand held impact driver fitted with a flat blade screwdriver bit, and impact that bolt to start it moving out in a counter clockwise direction. Then just finish backing it out with a hand held screwdriver. Once that bolt is out, I use a small wedge to open the collar on the drop enough to slide the drop off the column tube. This method has never failed to work for me.

John

hardtop25    -- 07-25-2020 @ 12:04 PM
  Thanks John. Does the headless bolt, now with flat blade slot, then thread back in to clamp unto replacement tube?

3w2    -- 07-26-2020 @ 6:41 PM
  Why not replace it with an original bolt with a twist-off head? They are available for suppliers like Third Gen Automotive (Michael Driskell).

JM    -- 07-27-2020 @ 6:46 PM
  Hardtop25, if I do a neat job of making the slot in the head of that bolt, yes, I reuse them. This prevents me, or the next owner from having to cut another slot in a breakoff bolt. My cars are all drivers, I could care less about looking 100% correct. Also, that slot is not readily visible unless you're crawling on the floor under the steering column and decide to look up.

John

hardtop25    -- 07-28-2020 @ 6:08 PM
  Thanks all! I think I got this. Yep, my '36 Pickup will be driver all the way.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14012