Topic: Speedometer Issue

Dream38v8    -- 07-07-2020 @ 6:24 AM
  Three issues relating to my 1938 speedometer:
1) The needle fell off I believe as a result of lack of speedometer cable lubricant (irredicate needle movement at low speeds)
- what is the best procedure to refix the needle?
2) Per this forum "liquid graphite" is the best solution to lubricate the cable
- do I need to remove the cable to apply the lubricant or can I add to the cable once I remove it from the back of the speedometer?
3) I can not locate "liquid graphite" at any auto supply store

Ray

nelsb01    -- 07-07-2020 @ 8:04 AM
  Hi Ray;
You will have to remover the speedometer assembly from the dash to be able to re-attach the needle. There should be 3 or 4 small nuts that hold the speedometer to the dash. I have found that a long socket works best. Then, I believe the circular rim is held on by little delicate tabs. Be slow when bending them. There should be a cork gasket between the glass and rim.
A small needle nose pliers will be needed to set the needle on the post.
I have been able to just add liquid graphite down the speedometer cable housing and it works for me. Others will probably advise that you remove and clean the cable, which might not be a bad idea if you dont know the history of your vehicle.
I dont remember where I purchased my liquid graphite. If concerned try calling around before traveling around.

Hope this helps.

Dream38v8    -- 07-07-2020 @ 9:12 AM
  Thanks for your reply. Do I just press the needle on gently when using the needle nose pliers? I have called all the auto part stores in the area and no one has a speedometer lub. Online I've located Dorman graphite oil that I can order.

Ray

nelsb01    -- 07-07-2020 @ 12:21 PM
  Yes---very gently. It should slide on, but with care.
Here is a picture of what I have.

Dream38v8    -- 07-20-2020 @ 1:55 PM
  I decided to work on the speedometer during one of the hottest days this summer. Got the speedometer out and disconnected the cable. The attached picture is the only liquid graphite I could locate. Thanks NAPA. After I spread the lubricant I let the cable set for 30 minutes. While waiting I reattached the needle. Once everything was back together I went for a test drive. The speedometer is working, but the needle is still bouncing. The bounce is probably 10% from the previous bounce before the needle fell off. At this time I am happy. Maybe this fall I will disconnect / remove the cable and clean and relub .

Ray

Ray

TomO    -- 07-21-2020 @ 7:12 AM
  I have always advocated using graphite lube on the speedometer cable, but I used Sil-Glyde lube on the power seat tracks of my Lincoln and have been impressed with how easy the seat moves and that the grease does not seem to collect dirt like the white lithium grease. I would think that it would work very well as a cable lube.

You don't have to remove the speedometer to lube the cable, just disconnect it at the speedo head, remove the cable, wipe it down with mineral spirits, wipe on a thin coat of the lubricants and re-insert the cable.

Most of the early speedometer heads have a small metal cap on the top. Under that cap is a felt wick that should be lubricated with a thin oil like 3 in One. If this area becomes dry, it could also cause a bouncing needle.

Tom

trjford8    -- 07-21-2020 @ 7:48 AM
  X2 for Syl-Glyde. Works good on window regulators also.

Dream38v8    -- 07-21-2020 @ 9:32 AM
  Thanks Tom. I had to remove the speedo head as the needle had fallen off. I did not notice a metal cap on the top of the speedo head. My Ford is a '38 Deluxe Fordor.

Ray

Ray

40cpe    -- 07-21-2020 @ 9:42 AM
  The cap on the speedo is on top just forward of where the cable attaches. It is a small (1/8"+) brass recessed plug. Use a sharp instrument to get under the edge of the lip and lift up.

horsepower    -- 07-22-2020 @ 2:48 AM
  You can try to restore your dashboard and it should fix the problem. If you are located in USA, check woodensteeringwheels.com
It should take no longen than 3 weeks

Dream38v8    -- 12-14-2020 @ 12:42 PM
  Tom and all, thank you for your help. I remove the speedometer cable and head. I was able to press the needle back on. I was able to located liquid qraphite. I lubbed the cable and let it sit for a few hours. After driving the car a few times I removed the cable again and repeated my lubrication process. I was out for a ride the other day and the speedometer needle was not bouncing. So far so good.

Thanks

Ray

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13985