Topic: Battery disconnect switch.

kirkstad    -- 07-04-2020 @ 2:26 PM
  I would like to install a battery disconnect switch on my 36. I like the ones I have seen with the knob that you can remove if needed or just turn to off. The ones I seen are designed to be installed on the negative terminal, which in most cases are smaller than the positive terminal. Since my car is still positive ground which means I'm using the larger terminal,could I install one on the other terminal? Right now I have been just disconnecting the battery. Hope I'm making sense here.
Thank's
Frank

cliftford    -- 07-04-2020 @ 3:26 PM
  I don't think it would make any difference. Be sure and get a good quality one that will carry the starter load.

ford38v8    -- 07-04-2020 @ 4:14 PM
  It makes a lot of difference. First, a disconnect switch must be capable of carrying the load. A 6v system needs a heavy duty switch, which just does not exist in a battery mounted type of switch.

Cole Hersee manufactures the most reliable heavy duty switch on the market. They have half a dozen configurations, the most popular for automotive use is model # 75910 DPST On/Off.

Again, forget the twist knob on top of your battery, a car fire waiting to happen.

http://colehersee.com.au/product/battery-master-switch-75910-dpst-on-off/

Alan

TomO    -- 07-05-2020 @ 9:53 AM
  I am with Alan on this. A cheap disconnect can have internal resistance that will drop the voltage enough to cause starting and light problems. The ones with the knob are particularly subject to this problem.

If you are going to install a disconnect on the battery, it is just as easy to remove the grounding strap when you park the car and it is much safer to do.

On my Mercury I disconnect the grounding strap when I am not going to use the car. My Lincoln has the battery under the floor on the passenger side, so it is more convenient to have a disconnect switch under the hood. My switch is similar to the one that Alan mentioned.

Tom

kirkstad    -- 07-05-2020 @ 11:38 AM
  Thank you Cliftford,Ford38 and TomO. I'll go with heavy duty switch as recommended. When I attach the cable from the battery to one side of the switch,I guess I will need to make up a heavy 6 volt cable with two eyelets to complete the connection from the other side.It is not easy to find heavy cables in parts stores. TomO, can I ask how you handled this?

1931 Flamingo    -- 07-06-2020 @ 6:58 AM
  Getting ready to install h/duty sw on the 40. I got a correct sized cable from one of the Model A vendors (Bratton's or Snyder's I believe). Depending on where you live, ck for a battery wholesaler/vendor in your area or a NAPA, AutoZone, etc., they would either have or could order you one.
Paul in CT

39 Ken    -- 07-06-2020 @ 8:16 AM
  I needed new battery cables for my '39 .

I contacted Battery cables USA www.batterycablesusa.com

Told them what I needed: (6v), black 1/0 cable
and connectors. They made them up and
I had them in a week.

They also know what
lengths and sizes for your car if you aren't
familiar with your specifications.

www.batterycablesusa.com

kirkstad    -- 07-06-2020 @ 9:05 AM
  Thank you 31 Flamingo,and 39 Ken. Great info and I will check it out.
Frank

len47merc    -- 07-06-2020 @ 1:38 PM
  For one further option for your evaluation and decision-making - recommend the WirthCo family of disconnects. They are rated to carry more amperage than those mentioned thus far, important assuming you are still 6 volts.

I used a knife version on the negative post without any issues on my '47. Ultimately I took TomO's advice and simply kept a 7/16" wrench in the glove box and disconnected the grounding strap for the last year of my ownership. The new owner reinstalled the WirthCo and swears by it.

Steve

kirkstad    -- 07-06-2020 @ 3:49 PM
  Thank you Steve.
Frank

TomO    -- 07-06-2020 @ 7:07 PM
  Frank, The previous owner of my Lincoln made a neat installation of the switch and used 2 starter to solenoid cables.

Tom

kirkstad    -- 07-07-2020 @ 7:35 AM
  Thank's Tom, I hadn't thought of that, they have the end lugs with the holes that look the same size as the picture of the switch in the catalog I've seen.
Thank's again!
Frank

dandy32    -- 07-08-2020 @ 2:47 PM
  Just A thought if you call Ron Francis Wiring in Chester Pa they can help you out with any wiring needs. They just helped me out and were very good.They will know what you need and probably have it in stock. (800) 292-1940

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13976