Topic: Proper fan belt with offset generator mount

hotrodbob    -- 07-03-2020 @ 7:12 PM
  We have added a dual carb set up to my wife's '46. The generator/Alternator is now mounted with an Offenhauser bracket on the head.

Does anyone know what the correct belt is? We have tried 4 belts so far and they all squeal. The correct GATES #TR26366 is too short. What I am getting do not have the correct "V" angle and width.

We have new ball bearing water pumps as well.

Is there a good GATES part number?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hotrodbob,
Anyone can restore a classic, but it takes a hotrodder to cut one up and make it cool.

carcrazy    -- 07-03-2020 @ 7:43 PM
  Take a piece of clothesline, fit it over all of the pulleys, cut it to the correct overall length and take it to a good auto parts store like NAPA. Measure the angle of the groove in the pulleys you are using or bring one of the pulleys with you to the auto parts store and buy or order a belt of the appropriate size and cross-sectional shape.

ford38v8    -- 07-04-2020 @ 12:14 AM
  Your cut-up Classic can rise above a squealing fan belt, but is deeply saddened that its un-cool owner throws insults at the very enthusiasts that he expects to answer his questions.

Alan

hotrodbob    -- 07-09-2020 @ 12:37 PM
  Alan, you take the words to seriously.

Hotrodbob,
Anyone can restore a classic, but it takes a hotrodder to cut one up and make it cool.

ford38v8    -- 07-09-2020 @ 1:21 PM
  An insult cannot be explained away with a sneer.

Alan

hotrodbob    -- 07-09-2020 @ 6:19 PM
  After some trial and error and working this the local parts store where the owner is a car guy, we found the belt listed for the car by GATES is too wide(TR26366) for the pulleys. It sat too high barely even going in the groves. We found a belt that works well and has the same "V" shape as the pulleys. No squeal anymore. So, for those that are planning this upgrade or have done it and have belt issues, here is what I have used.

GATES#: B55
21/32" Wide
58" long

Thanks for the none judgmental assistance.

Hotrodbob,

This message was edited by hotrodbob on 7-9-20 @ 6:23 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13973