Topic: Battery drain overnight

jdunigan    -- 07-03-2020 @ 7:42 AM
  I have a 1949 F-1 pickup, 6 volt positive ground. Last Sunday I installed a replacement voltage regulator and generator. I have two 6 volt AGM batteries I use with an Orpin 6/12 switch, the kind that puts 12 volts across the starter but 6 volts everywhere else. I've had it this way for decades with no issues. The truck started and ran fine since the installation of the regulator and generator last weekend. Last night I took it for a good drive and the ammeter showed a strong charge until just before returning home when the gauge dropped back towards center, not all the way but near it. This morning, the batteries are too low to start the vehicle. The generator was generating, the lights, radio, and turn signals worked as they should. But this morning, the battery was dead. I've checked and double checked all the wiring, the headlight switch, the brake light switch, the heater switch, the dash light switch, the voltage regulator and generator and the radio. I changed the key insert to the ignition switch about 8 years ago but I did not change the switch. I have checked and it is a drain not a battery problem. Any ideas?

This message was edited by jdunigan on 7-3-20 @ 8:32 AM

TomO    -- 07-03-2020 @ 8:41 AM
  Disconnect the ground cable from the battery and connect a test light between the battery post and ground. With every thing off the light should not glow. If it does, you have a drain and should start disconnecting items until it disappears.

The cutout on the voltage regulator could be stuck, the brake lights could be on or you could have a wire shorting out to ground.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 07-03-2020 @ 12:24 PM
  I would suspect that the circuit breaker points in your new regulator are staying closed after you turn off your engine. I have encountered this very same problem with a brand new regulator. If you disconnect the wire from the bat terminal of the regulator when everything is turned off and you see a spark, you will know that this is your problem.

supereal    -- 07-23-2020 @ 11:51 AM
  If you have an electric wind clock, this is a common cause of a "vampire" battery drain. The best way to prevent drains of any kind is to install a battery cutoff switch. I have used one of the common "green knob"kind on my cars for many years. Some don't like them, but mine have always worked. They mount on a battery post with the cable to the other side. If you want an antitheft device, just unscrew and remove the knob when the car is parked.

51woodie    -- 07-24-2020 @ 3:25 AM
  I have read several posts that say the clock will drain the battery down, and in some cases, overnight. There has to be some other issue, because my stock "46 Coupe has started after being left for three and four weeks at a time, with the clock operating. It would be an interesting test for some electrical wizard out there, to put a data logger or some other instrument on the clock circuit, to definitively answer the question; How long does it take for a clock to discharge a battery, to a point where the engine won't start?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13972