Topic: Replacing stock engine

ole_Bill    -- 06-16-2010 @ 1:33 PM
  If I pull the stock engine from my '36 and replace it with a 59A, how many of the accessories (dist, fuel pump, water pumps, etc) can go to the new motor?

Stroker    -- 06-16-2010 @ 4:08 PM
  Ole Bill:

The distributor, and fuel pump should be OK, but the water pumps are not. Your 36 has the pumps
in the front of the cylinder heads, and the 59A has pumps in the front of the block.

Ole Dan

42ford    -- 06-16-2010 @ 4:54 PM
  fan and Gen mount higher.

ford38v8    -- 06-16-2010 @ 6:14 PM
  ole Bill, Use the intake manifold; carburetor; air cleaner; generator; cutout; fuel pump; exhaust manifolds; timing gear cover; distributor; coil; condenser; spark plug conduits and spark plug wires.

You'll need to obtain a camshaft extension adapter to match up with the distributor. This is readily obtainable from any antique Ford parts supplier. A good trick to use when installing this adapter is to drill a small hole through it and the matching tang on your distributor. The hole in the distributor tang should be slightly larger for clearance of a taper pin to be tapped through and cut flush. This will enable easy installation on the engine without dropping the small adapter.

The top radiator hoses will need to be different, perhaps flex hoses? For cosmetics, the use of 8BA heads on the 59A would more closely resemble your '36, and would likely fit '36 top hoses. The bottom hoses might work unmodified. With this setup, the casual observer would think it was original unless he counted the head studs.

Alan

TomO    -- 06-16-2010 @ 6:17 PM
  Using the distributor will require replacing the timing gear cover with one from a 39-41 engine and an adapter to compensate for the shorter camshaft.

If you have the original 36 fuel pump, you should probably use a new replacement pump. The sediment bowl on the original 36 fuel pump is much smaller than the 39-48 pump.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 06-16-2010 @ 8:42 PM
  Tom, why won't his '36 timing gear cover work for him?

Alan

TomO    -- 06-17-2010 @ 7:38 AM
  Alan, your post was correct, the 36 timing gear cover will work. I had a brain check. I was typing in my reply,before your reply was posted. If I had seen your reply, I would have kept my big thumbs quiet.

Tom

ole_Bill    -- 06-28-2010 @ 5:06 PM
  What do I do about front engine mounts? I assume someone makes a kit/adapter.

This message was edited by ole_Bill on 6-28-10 @ 5:07 PM

trjford8    -- 06-28-2010 @ 7:21 PM
  The water pumps on the 59 motor will become your new engine mounts.

ole_Bill    -- 06-29-2010 @ 12:33 PM
  I understand this is how it works in Fords that came from the factory with the 59A engine, but this engine is going into a '36. Will the 59A water pump mounting holes match the '36 chassis?

37 Coupe    -- 06-29-2010 @ 1:52 PM
  I helped a friend put in a 59AB last summer in his 36 chassis,yes front motor mounts line right up but I think later bottom part of mount is slightly bigger diameter than hole in crossmember. As I remember he should have made holes bigger in frame but it was already painted,he had to use bottom part of 36 engine biscuit or mount and upper of 59AB. In other words you may have to enlarge holes or buy both 36 and 59AB engine mount kit.

wmsteed    -- 07-01-2010 @ 11:33 AM
  Putting a 59AB engine into a '36 chassis is a very simple job which only requires the reuse of the stock '36 exhaust manifolds, and stock motor mount pads.
I used a '42 "crab style" distr. cap on the distr for added room. Changing the long generator/fan mounting bolt to a shorter bolt to eliminate the fan mount allowed me to bolt my '39 generator right to the intake manifold.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1397