Topic: door lock

servidave    -- 06-25-2020 @ 8:14 PM
  Thanx everybody for the replies regarding losing coolant!
New issue - '46 super deluxe coupe - one door lock works with key, other door does not. What is involved in replacing non-functioning lock cylinder?? Appreciate any and all input.

51woodie    -- 06-25-2020 @ 8:52 PM
  I would suggest you pull both door locks to see if they are the same code. (The door and ignition key should be the same.) If the door lock codes are the same, then the problem is with the one lock. Possibly seized, so try penetrating oil and wiggle/jiggle key in the lock. If the codes are different, then contact one of the Ford lock gurus on this site, and they can help. Not hard to remove the locks. There is a "set screw" on the back end of the door at the same height as the lock. They are sometimes hidden behind the door weather seal. There is one screw for the door handle as well, that is above the screw for the lock. (see pics) My set screws were Allen socket, which are not original. I believe the originals were slotted.

servidave    -- 07-01-2020 @ 10:45 AM
  Parts person told me only passenger door originally came with lock!
Doesn't seem logical - true or false? I wanted to order new locks for both doors with matching keys, that's when I was told '46 didn't come with driver door lock???

51woodie    -- 07-01-2020 @ 11:32 AM
  My '46 Super Deluxe has locks on both sides, and the door locks are keyed the same as the ignition. The trunk and glovebox are paired. I know that there are a few differences between early and late year '46 builds, but I can't see the door locks being one of them. As you can see in the pics, my car has locks on both sides. My 2000 Mustang only has a door lock on the drivers side. I guess Ford saved a few bucks there. I'd suggest the parts guy is not that familiar with old Fords.

This message was edited by 51woodie on 7-1-20 @ 11:34 AM

Bill E Bob    -- 07-01-2020 @ 4:44 PM
  Same problem with my '47 Fordor. A bit of graphite, some jiggling and all was well.

Aim low--Achieve your goals.

TomO    -- 07-02-2020 @ 6:36 AM
  I believe that you can tell your parts man that he is incorrect. According to factory photos, the1941 Fords had key locks on both front doors on some Super Deluxe models.

A little Marvel Mystery oil will free up the locks if the above tips don't work.

Tom

cliftford    -- 07-02-2020 @ 9:53 AM
  My Dad bought a new 47 Ford in late 47, with no drivers side door lock. The reason I remember this is that to lock the car, he would pull up the drivers door handle, slide over and exit the passenger door , close it and lock it with the key lock. How ever,I too have seen 46-48 fords with locks on both doors.

This message was edited by cliftford on 7-2-20 @ 9:56 AM

TomO    -- 07-03-2020 @ 8:35 AM
  Some of the 1949 Fords did not have a drivers door outside lock as well. I have the factory price list for the 1941 Fords and there is no mention of the drivers door outside lock, but the V-8 Album and some of the factory photos that I have seen show the driver's door lock on the Super Deluxe models. My guess is that the 41-48 Super Deluxe and Mercury cars had the driver's door lock and the lesser models did not.

Then again, it may just be the squirrels running around in my head talking again.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-4-20 @ 7:17 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 07-03-2020 @ 8:46 AM
  The 1941/1948 Ford Book, put out by the V-8 Club is vague on the subject of the doors with locks. On page 3-26 all it shows is a picture of the correct key's and above the picture states, "Front Door Lock (one or two doors)". I can't find anything in the book that will give a clear picture of which cars had a keyed lock in both front doors. Something for the judging people to figure out and put in the revised book.

JayChicago    -- 07-03-2020 @ 6:13 PM
  TomO
You’ve got some pretty smart squirrels. When they say something, we listen.

TomO    -- 07-04-2020 @ 7:20 AM
  Jay, they can't be that smart, allowing me to write an incomplete sentence. I had to add the word 'head" so that the sentence would make sense.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13945