Topic: 37 Ford

37fordguy    -- 06-23-2020 @ 5:52 AM
  What pressure radiator cap is correct for 37 85hp? Also can anyone recommend a good temp gauge set up that really works accurately?

ford38v8    -- 06-23-2020 @ 7:11 AM
  The '37 Ford did not originally have a pressure cap. If you put one on, limit the pressure to 4 lbs, as the radiator is not designed to withstand more than that.
The original temperature gauge for the '37 Ford is a capillary tube, which is without a doubt the most accurate, presuming of course that it is functional at all, as many have bit the dust after these past 83 years.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 6-23-20 @ 7:11 AM

trjford8    -- 06-23-2020 @ 7:14 AM
  On the temperature gauge you should buy a mechanical gauge. I feel they are the most accurate. In the past I have used the Equus brand or Sun Pro. Check e-Bay as you can find them from $15-$25. Your local auto parts store may also carry a decent gauge and I do know that O'Reilly's carries Equus.

JM    -- 06-23-2020 @ 5:10 PM
  As Ford38v8 already said, the original '37 radiator and radiator cap designs were not a pressurized design, and adding a cap designed for pressurizing will not work if the radiator still has it original filler neck and overflow tube. What you would need to pressurize the original cooling system on a 37 is Skip Haney's pressure release valve on the end of overflow tube and a good sealing gasket on the radiator cap. This will give you a 3 to 4 lb pressurized system.

I have a Stewart Warner mechanical temp gauge on my 35 fordor sedan, driver's side only, and this works well for me.

John

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-24-2020 @ 5:51 AM
  hi
I am with JM on Skips pressure valve , and sealing the radiator cap with a gasket,
have one on my 37 and have not added distilled water with water pump lube and water wetter, in years,
works for me,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman
if you look for a stock temp gauge for a 37 try E-bay,
I saw NOS ORIGINAL FORD
these would be the same for 38 39, just the face plate is different,
simple change,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-25-20 @ 8:52 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13933