Topic: 37 column drop on/off lever installation

1937sedandelivery    -- 06-21-2020 @ 9:01 AM
  Hello,
I am rebuilding my 37 column drop. It is all back together except for the pin that actuates the ignition switch contacts and the on/off lever itself.
Are both of these press fit? I should locate each item slightly above its respective hole and lightly tap into place? I tried this with the on/off lever and it didn't want to readily seat in the hole. I should apply more force?

Last thing i want to do is bugger something up.

Thanks,
gregg

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-21-2020 @ 9:40 AM
  Gregg
as far as I can remember is should fit together,with no problems, ignition switch is held together with screws,with 2 studs sticking out the back for attaching the wires, I do not remember using force to assembly the switch, just a little tricky
if you are using reproduction parts I think that is the problem,
if you could post a photo it might help
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

1937sedandelivery    -- 06-21-2020 @ 7:30 PM
  Two jpeg photos attached

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-22-2020 @ 5:55 AM
  hi 37Sedandelivery
I thought you were talking about the electric switch part, not the switch lever and operating pin being loose or stripped out,
I guess you have to use a little force pressing together
looks like you are missing the chrome end cap,
after studying the photo, looks like you need to disassemble the whole switch to correctly install the parts you have,
this may be the easiest way, so what you put together does not come apart,
do you have a spare switch for parts.?
maybe someone else has a better answer,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-22-20 @ 6:08 AM

TomO    -- 06-22-2020 @ 6:57 AM
  Gregg, there was a good article on repairing the column drop in the V-8 Times a few years ago. Download the searchable index to find the issue that had this information and if you don't have it, the issue can likely be purchased from The Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum.

Tom

1937sedandelivery    -- 06-22-2020 @ 7:34 AM
  Thanks guys.
I do have another column drop that is in pretty poor shape. Will see what i can harvest and what makes sense. I will look for that article.
gregg

Kens 36    -- 06-22-2020 @ 8:24 AM
  Gregg,

I suspect Tom is referring to an article in the September/October 2002 V-8 Times.

The VERY best way to research the V-8 Times is to buy the $19.95 V-8 Times flash drive, available in the Online Store.

Ken

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13927