Topic: 40 clock wire

tweetsmith01    -- 06-20-2020 @ 10:39 AM
  the hole in the bracket that holds the clock in glove box door is too large for the clock wire socket to snap in it would fit in the clocl hole but seems too small for the bracket am i missing a part or do i have the wrong clock hold down or did they make more than one bracket i bought clock light wire fron two different vendors but both are same size

kubes40    -- 06-20-2020 @ 10:56 AM
  The reproduction sockets are a bit larger in diameter than the authentic sockets.
I'd suggest you remove the clock retainer, insert the socket / wire and feed through the retainer when reinstalling it. then hook up the wires.
Or, if you're OCD as I am, acquire a correct socket

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

tweetsmith01    -- 06-20-2020 @ 12:22 PM
  hi mike
my problem is that the sockets are too small for the hole in the retainer the is the same size as a nickel fit thru the hole tried to bend the prongs out but no way the socket from both vendors almost goes thru the hole

kubes40    -- 06-20-2020 @ 2:34 PM
  The retainer is nothing more than that - a retainer. The socket is fitted to the rectangular clock cover. That hole in the retainer is simply clearance for the socket to pass through.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

tweetsmith01    -- 06-20-2020 @ 2:59 PM
  mike, if the socket fits into the clock then to change the bulb you need to remove the retainer am i understanding this correctly

kubes40    -- 06-20-2020 @ 3:06 PM
  Yes, that's correct IF you intend to use the reproduction wiring / socket.
With an authentic socket, there is no need to remove the retainer.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

tweetsmith01    -- 06-20-2020 @ 3:44 PM
  i understand what you mean and yes the repo socket is a little to large and i have ocs but guess ill use repo until i find a nos
thanks for your help
dennis

tweetsmith01    -- 06-21-2020 @ 4:46 AM
  kube, i filed the hole in clock retainer a small amount in just a few minutes now repo socket fits the correct way

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13923