Topic: spark plug change

flatfoot    -- 06-18-2020 @ 9:30 AM
  What do you do when you change the spark plugs and it runs worse then ever. Before change ran very good. '37 flathead new overhaul. Changed plugs cause they were pre overhaul. Maybe put the old ones back??

therunwaybehind    -- 06-18-2020 @ 11:21 AM
  Did you gap them? Do you have a feeler gauge with round wire standards? Flat feeler gauges like used for setting tappets can "sneak" into too small gaps that pop back down when pulled out. Did you use a wire brush on the insulators to remove crud and leave a surface of metal to flash over and leak voltage? I personally like the Ford Triton plugs that with a crank trigger instead of ignition points last 100,000 miles. (10mm) OK back to flathead era. 10,000 miles was good. With low or no lead gasoline, now, you know the life better than I.

flatfoot    -- 06-18-2020 @ 5:49 PM
  Thanks for your response. I used a round wire gap tool .025. Motorcraft plugs new. I think I will put the old ones back in it runs better. I don't what else to do.

40 Coupe    -- 06-19-2020 @ 4:57 AM
  What plug wires do you have? Should be a solid wire core. When removing the wires from the plugs to change it is possible you damaged one or more.

TomO    -- 06-19-2020 @ 9:51 AM
  Do a cylinder balance test to find the bad plug(s).

With the engine running at about1,00 rpm, ground out one plug at a time. The engine should slow down the same amount when each plug is shorted. It there is no change, you have a bad plug that is not firing at speed. If you have some plugs that don't slow the engine as much as the majority of plugs, you should recheck the gap on those plugs and make sure that ther plug id torqued to 25 ft lbs.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-22-2020 @ 2:58 PM
  flatfoot
I assume you have the metal conduit, were the ignition wires running inside, how old is the rubber boots,and how are the inside distributor caps that the rotor transfers the spark to the ignition wires,and the coil brush ? rotor no cracks ? or wear ?
Made in USA parts.?
did you ever LOOK at the engine in the dark and see if you see spark jumping in and around the metal conduit
also spraying the ignition wires with plain water, using a windex sprayer, while running, you do not have to use much,a light mist,will do,if this makes a difference,
this might be your problem,
I also use 18mm NGK SPARK plugs, you would not believe the difference in my 37 it really came alive,!
Never clean spark plugs with wire wheel or brush, will short out the plugs,

hope this helps 37Ragtopman LETS hear how you made out,!!
I use RHODE ISLAND ignition wires, work great,

flatfoot    -- 07-24-2020 @ 4:19 PM
  Thanks for the info I just got the car back from the radiator shop. I will now try the idea you suggest. Thanks a lot.

1934 Ford    -- 07-28-2020 @ 9:08 AM
  Not all new plugs are good plugs. I gave up on Champions years ago because the fouled easily. i went tot he 18mm
Auto lite 346 plugs and have loved them in my 34's and 35 Fords. I broke the center out of the Champions and made
them into ahead puller on my slap hammer. "never throw anything away".

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13919