Topic: Low generator output

jdunigan    -- 06-18-2020 @ 9:11 AM
  The generator on my 49 F-1 (6 volt system) is only putting out 2.96 volts at about 1100 rpm. Is this normal? I checked it at the generator with the wiring disconnected. I've been having charging problems. The ammeter NEVER indicates a charge. The voltage regulator has really burnt points and a blown fuse underneath. I don't know what happened and am planning on replacing both the generator and the regulator unless there's something I can do to fix the low output on the generator. Any ideas?

JayChicago    -- 06-18-2020 @ 11:16 AM
  I know little about the generating system, so you should wait for others to post. But I can say that I think the test you did of the generator, with wires removed, is meaningless. The generator needs input from the regulator to function. From your description of the regulator, seems more likely you just need a new regulator.

therunwaybehind    -- 06-18-2020 @ 11:25 AM
  My personal experience in such a situation is the rear bushing in the end plate that supports the armature was worn enough that the brushes began to arc and drag. Maybe not enough attention to the little oil cup? The front ball bearing is less likely. Replace the end plate, brushes , the armature and the voltage regulator.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 6-18-20 @ 3:12 PM

CharlieStephens    -- 06-18-2020 @ 11:31 AM
  Add your general location to your profile and someone might post a good generator shop nearby. Also contact your local EFV8 Club and they might know of a good shop.

Charlie Stephens

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-18-2020 @ 12:04 PM
  X2 When my gen stopped producing I took it and the regulator to an "old time" shop. Compared to buying a new or rebuilt w/core charge I saved big time on shipping alone.
Paul in CT

jdunigan    -- 06-18-2020 @ 12:12 PM
  Are you sure? The manual specifies how to test it on the car and says to disconnect the leads going to the regulator. There are also several sources online - Youtube and electrical sites - that say the same thing.

jdunigan    -- 06-18-2020 @ 12:15 PM
  Thanks for your insight. I tried to keep the oil cup maintained according to the manual, but it is an old generator. I found relatively inexpensive armatures for later model Fords but I don't know where to find an armature or end plate for this one. I have found a used generator or two but the prices were almost the same as buying a remanufactured generator.

jdunigan    -- 06-18-2020 @ 12:16 PM
  Hi Paul, there is a motor rewinding shop a short distance from here but they don't do generators any longer. I called the other shops and the nearest is in Miami which is across Florida from me. Guess I'm going to have to buy one.

TomO    -- 06-19-2020 @ 10:18 AM
  I recommend an analog meter for this test (one with a needle), digital meters will vary with the spikes coming from the generator.

To check if the problem is the generator or the regulator:

Connect all of the wiring between the generator and regulator.
Start the engine and let it run at about 1,000 rpm.
Measure the voltage at the battery terminal of the voltage regulator, it should be at least 7 volts.

If it is not 7 volts, leave the meter connected and connect a jumper from the ARM terminal of the regulator to the FLD terminal of the regulator, long enough to read the voltmeter. If it not now above 7 volts, the generator is bad, if it is above 7 volts the regulator is bad. Remove the jumper as soon as you get a reading, leaving it on for a long period will damage the generator.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-19-2020 @ 12:59 PM
  HI
this may help
you might want to contact a professional AUTO ELECTRIC shop like CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTRIC shop in OHIO
I have used them and they do a good job, 440 439 1100 Jeff or EARL 6vto12v@gmail,com web site
they specialize in VINTAGE AUTO ELECTRIC,,,,
it takes quite a few special tools to rebuild a generator the right way,,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13918