Topic: '42 Tudor Trunk

42Flattman    -- 06-16-2020 @ 7:45 AM
  Hello......I am new to this as I just purchased a '42 Tudor Sedan and I have not owned a vintage vehicle quite this old before.....so hopefully you will bear with me on some of my inquiries......my first issue I am facing is after I got it home is that I cannot get the trunk unlocked.....I did get it open when I went to pick it up (with a little jiggling of the key).....but it appears it doesn't want to work any longer.......I have cleaned and lubed the lock very well and have spent a fair amount of time messing with it, but it just won't unlock.....I have called a few mobile locksmiths but have yet to come up with one willing to give it a shot (seems strange, huh).....I still have some to call but not holding my breath. Anyway, I am curious if anyone else has had this issue and maybe can help me out with a possible solution.....like can you access the trunk by removing the rear seat ? Or drill out the lock ?? (I am going to replace the complete assembly once I can get it open to remove it so I don't care if it gets ruined that way)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !

Grant    -- 06-16-2020 @ 10:41 AM
  Welcome to the Early Ford V8 Club Of America web site.

Please do not drill out the lock. I think maybe you are just experiencing a little bit of Henry's Revenge with what appears to be a pretty nice '42 Ford. With a little bit of perseverance and assistance, hopefully we can help you get that trunk lock to open.

As a starting point, whereabouts in Oklahoma are you?

I'm hoping that there will be an Early Ford V8 Club member not too far away who is willing to assist.

Have you considered joining the nearest Regional Group of the Early Ford V8 Club? RG 64 is based in Oklahoma City.

42Flattman    -- 06-16-2020 @ 12:10 PM
  Hi......Thank you for the reply.
Well, drilling it out would be an absolute last resort method as that is not what I want.....I purchased the car in Oklahoma but it now resides in Wichita, KS........the person I was purchasing the car from suggested this club so that is where I started.
Any assistance is appreciated.
Thanks again.

woodiewagon46    -- 06-16-2020 @ 3:14 PM
  While it won't help you in getting your trunk opened, may I suggest purchasing the 1941/1948 Ford Book put out by the V-8 Club. It has pages and pages of information on your car.

cliftford    -- 06-16-2020 @ 4:25 PM
  Have you ch.ecked with a locksmith? There must be some in Wichita

40cpe    -- 06-16-2020 @ 4:31 PM
  It is possible that the key is too worn to operate the lock properly. Originally the glove box and trunk were keyed alike. You can take the lock cylinder out of the dash pocket and get the number off it. Maybe a local locksmith can cut a new key by the number. If not, there are some that specialize in old Ford locks that can cut one.

Grant    -- 06-16-2020 @ 6:24 PM
  Hello again Mr. Flattman.

Wichita Kansas is home to Regional Group 25. According to the EFV8 Club 's Roster publication, there are at least a dozen members in the same city as you. And many more not far away.

You could try calling Jim Delzer at 316-617-0584. He is President of RG25.

I suspect that your problem is related to a worn key.

42Flattman    -- 06-17-2020 @ 4:49 AM
  Thanks for the info.....I placed an order for the book this morning....it should be handy to have around !

42Flattman    -- 06-17-2020 @ 4:53 AM
  I have.....basically they don't want to mess with it.....I still have a couple to talk to yet. (I did find one so far but they want me to bring to their shop to work on it....and I can't do that just yet so still looking for a mobile company)
Thanks for the reply !

42Flattman    -- 06-17-2020 @ 4:56 AM
  That's a thought.....I will see if that is an option.......do you know where I might find info on ones who specialize in the old Ford locks ?

42Flattman    -- 06-17-2020 @ 5:14 AM
  Thank you Grant.....I will contact Mr. Delzer today.....and I agree....the key is very worn looking and is probably the problem.
Thanks again for your help.

Grant    -- 06-17-2020 @ 5:31 AM
  My pleasure. You're welcome.

This is the best antique vehicle club in the world. None finer.

You won't regret joining.

We have a Tech Advisor whose specialty is 1941 and 1942 Fords. He owns and drives a '42. Jim can put you in touch with him.

Also ………. ask Jim about our V8 Times magazine. It's terrific. Pure flathead stuff through and through, currently in its seventh decade of publication.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-17-2020 @ 5:44 AM
  hi 42 TRUNK
Look
in the EARLY FORD V8 TIMES,I think you will see a ad for keys and locks,and many other venders,
hope this helps, 1937 Ragtopman

42Flattman    -- 06-17-2020 @ 7:22 AM
  Will do !

TomO    -- 06-17-2020 @ 7:41 AM
  That is a very nice looking car. You cannot access the trunk lock by removing the back seat. The spare tire and bracing are in the way.

Have you tried both keys? WD40 will sometimes free up the tumblers so that the key will work, other than that, jiggling the key while working the handle back and forth may free up the lock. One you have the trunk open, take the handle to a locksmith to have the lock repaired or removed so a new lock can be installed.

Tom

42Flattman    -- 06-17-2020 @ 9:12 AM
  I will do that....Thanks for the tip !

42Flattman    -- 06-17-2020 @ 9:24 AM
  Tom,
Thank you for the compliment on the car....it is a pretty nice survivor (I think)......it needs a few things but most probably do and it should be fun fixing it up......"good bones" as they say.
Good to know about the rear seat........and I have pretty much went through all the things you suggested....I keep trying it a little more each evening hoping if I hold my mouth just right I will get lucky.....I'm pretty sure it will end up that I will have to have a locksmith fix my problem though. (Sure didn't think it would be this difficult to get a locksmith to come out and work on it......but it is what it is)
Thanks again for the reply.
John

wrosenkrans    -- 06-17-2020 @ 3:55 PM
  Greetings from a fellow '42 Tudor Sedan owner! We've had our car for about 10 years now and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Lots of interesting history behind the '42s. Unfortunately, we live on the East Coast (Philadelphia area) or would be fun to get the cars together. Ours was the cover car for the V8 Magazine a couple years ago.

Welcome to the affliction...

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

39 Ken    -- 06-18-2020 @ 3:46 AM
  Get in touch with Phil, a professional locksmith that specializes
in early Fords. He can tell you some methods to unlock your '42 as
well as provide new keys and lock tumblers if needed.
Here are numbers where you can reach him:

845 457 3546 home
845 551 5132 cell.

I hope this helps.
Ken

42Flattman    -- 06-18-2020 @ 4:20 AM
  Thank you , Wayne....yours wouldn't happen to be the one on the cover of Sept/Oct 2017 would it ? (I ordered that back issue because it had a '42 on it).....Would be interested in any photos you would want to share. Mine has quite a ways to go before it would be ready for any kind of "show" pic like that.....but it should be fun fixing it up as I go. I called it a survivor in one of my earlier replies but have found out that it wouldn't be considered that since it does not have the original factory paint....I stand corrected on that statement ......aside from a new fuel tank, electric fuel pump, some new wiring harnesses, and a fresh brake job, everything else seems to be pretty much original.....it was a "2 family" car and has set in a garage for most of the last 30 yrs or so....(the lady I purchased it from has known the car since she was a child and it was purchased new by 2 sisters which were friends of her family)..they did have the engine overhauled in 1990 and didn't think it has had more than a couple of hundred miles put on it since then...it was interesting to be able to know all the history she related about the car.
All that being said it is still a 78 yr old car and still needs a lot of attention.
This seems like a really great club to be a part of and the members have all been helpful and supportive.....am looking forward to the future here.
Thanks again for the reply !

42Flattman    -- 06-18-2020 @ 4:24 AM
  Thanks for the information, Ken !

39 Ken    -- 06-18-2020 @ 6:15 AM
  Another contact is:
John McClure
Apex, NC

919-559-5774

mcclurex@bellsouth.net

John specializes in locks, etc. for
Flathead Fords 1932 to 1953

42Flattman    -- 06-18-2020 @ 2:19 PM
  Update - I finally located a locksmith locally to take on the task and the issue has been resolved - Thanks to all of you for your replies and input - It was appreciated !

TomO    -- 06-19-2020 @ 9:58 AM
  What did he do to resolve the problem?

Tom

42Flattman    -- 06-20-2020 @ 5:27 PM
  Tom....he worked on it for the better part of an hour but could not get the tumblers to drop....ended up he had to drill the cylinder out....would have preferred not to do that but thats what it came down to. At least I can get i to the trunk now (even if it doesn’t lock). I will just replace the complete assy with new.

39 Ken    -- 06-21-2020 @ 3:21 AM
  42 flattman,
Now that you've gotten it open, I would suggest that you contact
either one or both of the contacts I listed above to get an idea as to
what you can do to replace the lock. They will probably have NOS
lock tumblers/parts and will give you guidance on how to get the
lock to function. Also, you could send the entire mechanism to one
of them to get a proper repair if you are not comfortable to do t.

There are "new" reproduction parts available be they are "poopy"
and don't seem to operate the same as original.
Ken

TomO    -- 06-21-2020 @ 8:26 AM
  You can add my support to Ken's opinion on getting a NOS lock. The reproductions that I have seen are very poorly made and likely to fail in a few years.

Call one of the contact that Ken supplied and see if they will rekey your glove box lock at the same time that they fix your handle. Or you can have a local locksmith rekey the glove box lock to match the new trunk lock.

Tom

42Flattman    -- 06-21-2020 @ 7:20 PM
  Again, good information....I assumed the $200 replacement assy’s were a good quality product....guess not. I will have to contact one of those locksmiths like has been suggested and have them fix the old one.
Thanks again gentlemen !

51woodie    -- 06-21-2020 @ 7:57 PM
  Not sure about the 42, but on my 46,the glove box is keyed the same as the trunk. Pull the glove box lock and read the code, then find someone on this site that can cut you a key.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13914