Topic: installing a coil adapter on a '36

fenbach    -- 06-15-2020 @ 9:00 PM
  i'm "upgrading" to a '37 distributor and want to experiment with a coil adapter. but can't find an obvious place to mount the standard ignition coil. any suggestions?
which reminds me, i'm using a replacement coil for a '48 . it has an internal resistance of 1.4 ohms with "no external resistor required," printed right on the can . pretty much what 40coupe says in the recent post on Proper ignition coil wiring, that if the coil has a resistance of 1 ohm, "there is no need for the Ford resistor and it should be bypassed."

ford38v8    -- 06-15-2020 @ 9:41 PM
  It's not an upgrade unless it has an 11A advance plate.
I'm not a fan of coil adapters, and I doubt you'll find anyone who loves those ugly things. My opinion.

Alan

39 Ken    -- 06-16-2020 @ 3:20 AM
  I agree with Alan. Besides being very unattractive, they are generally of inferior quality.
They tend to warp and or break causing lost contact with the distributor rotor with obvious results. I suggest that you send your "original" coil to Skip Haney for rebuild with modern materials. His contact info is: skip@fordsrus.com.
Ken

ken ct.    -- 06-16-2020 @ 4:50 AM
  I agree with above, theve had many problems with these units over the yrs and they are ugally for sure. ken ct

40 Coupe    -- 06-16-2020 @ 4:53 AM
  I also agree the best coil for a 37-41 distributor is a rebuilt original Ford coil. I suggest you contact Skip Haney in Fla. His rebuilds use the original Ford resistor.
For a test mount your replacement coil anywhere convenient.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 6-16-20 @ 4:57 AM

juergen    -- 06-16-2020 @ 5:42 AM
  To answer your question, When Ford went to the external coil in 42, they had a bracket which bolted to the front of the intake. It was made for the unique to 42-48 Ford coil. You can mount a modern can coil with its U-shaped holder to this bracket. Look at pictures of 46-48 flathead engines.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-16-2020 @ 6:24 AM
  HI Fenbach
I just got tired of changing coils, but finely got one rebuilt, by a rebuilder in MICH, and it failed the same day, on the ROAD,
what a bummer. at night,
this was years ago,after that I
now I use one of the coil adapters plates, using a standard 6 volt coil on the left side inner fender panels,
with no resister just wire the 2 primary wires together,on the fuse block,
have used for 10 years or more, with no problems.
But I had one rebuilt by SKIP H.,but never got to use a original coil, if it works why change it,
Now I do carry one of SKIP'S REBUILT coils with me, and a fuel pump kit,
remember always carry a spares,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman maybe some day will change it, to SKIPS,,but will keep the adapter in the car for just incase,!

fenbach    -- 06-16-2020 @ 11:20 AM
  thanks jeurgen for the post about the '42-48 coil bracket. i had to chuckle at "To answer your question..." sometimes these threads come unthreaded.
but i should say, thanks anyway. the so-called '48 coil i bought is a round can, not a repop with the 2 mounting ears. but, as i said, i'm experimenting. and i didn't know any better, so to speak. the coil adapter kit came with a bracket to hold a round can. for now i think i'll mount it on the fender above the louvers. away from the heat.
i should add that i have been using a skip haney rebuild of the original flattop coil for years and not had any issues with it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13913