Topic: losing coolant

servidave    -- 06-14-2020 @ 11:49 AM
  I have a 1947 fordoor super deluxe, flathead V8 - after driving and parking in garage, no indication of overheating, but next day coolant on garage floor, and following day more coolant. No obvious leaks (radiator or water pumps). Saw ad in V8 Times to pressurize radiator in order to keep water in radiator! Is this common problem? Any thoughts on addressing issue? Thanx.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-14-2020 @ 12:26 PM
  HI Dave
try filling the radiator when warm, not cold. this will allow for expansion of the coolant,
it may be as simple as that,
if you have a pressure cap on it, test it to see if it is working,
and also test the cooling system for any leaks, with a cooling system pressure tester,you may have missed something ?
this will test the cooling system for sure, if there is leak,

using the pressure valve is a good idea,
I use this on my 37 and do not loose any coolant, comes with instructions, you also have to seal the radiator cap and install the valve on the overflow pipe
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

carcrazy    -- 06-14-2020 @ 4:43 PM
  Some Flatheads I've owned will lose up to 1/2 gallon of coolant during normal driving. My advice is to just fill the radiator with enough coolant to cover the top of the core by 1/2 to 1 inch. This has always worked for me.

nelsb01    -- 06-14-2020 @ 6:41 PM
  I agree with Carcrazy.
I have a 1949 Ford and I have tried for years to keep the radiator at level that I thought would be correct and every time the vehicle leaves a little spot when you stop. I finally gave up and there are no more spots when I stop, even after a highway drive. The level in the tank is about 1 inch above the core. If I add more, it will seek its own level by spitting it out. I am running a 50/50 antifreeze distilled water mix.

TomO    -- 06-15-2020 @ 6:52 AM
  The pressure valve sold be Skip Haney will do nothing for your 1947 Ford. It is designed to keep coolant in cars that cannot use a pressure cap effectively, like the 39 and 40 Ford radiators with the fill opening below the over flow tube.

I would be looking for a leak at the hose connections from the radiator to the water pump. Check the bottom of the hoses for dampness.

If they are dry, look at the over flow tube and see if it is wet.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-16-2020 @ 10:37 AM
  hi
for test purposes,
you could also use a plastic tubing on the overflow pipe and a clear bottle to see if is coming out of the overflow pipe,
like a modern car,
it still should not lose coolant past the pressure cap if it is working,,
this would tell me it is defective and not working, in doing its job,
this is not normal
spilling coolant every time you stop is not normal, I hope it is not ANTIFREEZE coming out,
it make a mess in the engine compartment and on the ground,I hope ,,if you HAVE pets, BE CAREFULL
hope this helps. 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-16-20 @ 2:27 PM

Ritzy1    -- 06-23-2020 @ 2:46 AM
  I have a similar issue with my 48. It's a recent rebuild and something that I never noticed last year when I first got it on the road. There is coolant dripping from the starter. I read where someone had the same issue and sealed the rear exhaust manifold bolts as he said they went into the water jacket. I did see a coolant drip on that exhaust flange, so I did that and still have the drip. Now I'm wondering if the head gasket is seeping from that rear corner.

trjford8    -- 06-23-2020 @ 7:22 AM
  Use a some liquid Barr's leak. you may have a seep from a head bolt.

TomO    -- 06-23-2020 @ 10:00 AM
  Look around the head for a different color or a gray streak. These would be indications of a leak. Your leak could be coming from a head stud or from around the head gasket. Leaking from an exhaust bolt is unusual, as they do not normally go into the water jacket.

Tom

Ritzy1    -- 06-24-2020 @ 2:25 AM
  TRJ, thanks for the suggestion on Bar's Leaks. The machine shop that did my engine suggested that too when it was freshly built and some of the head bolts were weeping even though I had used thread sealer during assembly. That did fix those.

This message was edited by Ritzy1 on 6-24-20 @ 2:36 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13908