Topic: missing

flatfoot    -- 06-04-2020 @ 12:15 PM
  I just had an overhaul on my '37 flathead complete $7500 plus. It has around a 1000+ miles on the moor. No oil leaks; runs like a top, however, when I am climbing a hill or going down the freeway at 60 MPH it misses. It also missing when I put more gas pedal increasing speed. I have new spark plugs and have gap rechecked. New distributor and points. It does need a carburetor and that's in the works. I'm not sure about the timing. It runs top-notch locally, but on the road, it was to miss. I'm at a loss as to what to do. any ideas? HELP!!

This message was edited by flatfoot on 6-4-20 @ 12:35 PM

carcrazy    -- 06-04-2020 @ 5:31 PM
  Suspect poor fuel delivery if the engine misses while under a load like climbing a hill, accelerating, or approaching high speed. I would check the fuel pump first.

flatfoot    -- 06-04-2020 @ 9:43 PM
  Fuel pump was replaced just after the overhaul. It runs really good low speed, but when i get it up to 55 plus is when it missing. But I will check it again.

40 Coupe    -- 06-05-2020 @ 4:16 AM
  High speed miss could be plug wires, use the wire type not resistor type. Was the original Ford coil rebuilt?

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 06-05-2020 @ 5:49 AM
  Could it be a worn or incorrect fuel pump push rod?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-05-2020 @ 6:43 AM
  hi flatfoot in missing
sounds to me that it might be a restriction in the fuel line,
did you clean out the gas tank, how old is the gas line,? if original I would change that for sure
did you remove the top of carburetor and check for dirt,
very simple to do on a 97 for sure, if dirt blow it out, be care full wear eye wear
install a fuel filter in the line at some point,
I installed a 3030 NAPA fuel filter on the left side. under the car,. were the line comes up by the firewall but under the car,, out of sight, close to the frame,
being something was rebuilt or replaced with new, still might not be good,
if this is all correct,
it might be a weak condenser ,or a loose ,, especially if it is foreign made part,
does it miss when Cold or HOT
if ok with cold and gets worst when hot, try another coil,
correct diagnosis is the Key
hope this helps, 1937Ragtopman

TomO    -- 06-05-2020 @ 8:44 PM
  Pull out the choke when it starts missing. If it gets better, you have a fuel delivery problem. if it continues to miss it could be an ignition problem.

Tom

1935fordtn    -- 06-11-2020 @ 5:18 PM
  Take Tom O's suggestion, if pulling the choke out does not change the condtion, I wold suspect point bounce in the distributor with is common.

len47merc    -- 06-12-2020 @ 4:22 AM
  Any microscopic, pinhole (air) leak anywhere in the fuel system from tank to carb can easily cause this behavior, so small it does not leak fuel but will allow air into the line. On glass bowl fuel pumps (no expert on '37's but do not recall '37's having them) the seal on the bowl was (and is) a typical culprit that you cannot see but removing the bowl, cleaning the seal and re-seating solved the exact same problem/behavior for me. This said, take some time to go through every possible source of air intrusion into the fuel line and system (there's only so many places) and since you just reinstalled the engine focus on the engine bay area first.

It can't hurt to double check, may solve the problem and if not at least you've eliminated one potential 'simple' source and can go on to electrical trouble shooting. Strongly resist the '...that's good enough...' temptation when checking flex hose connections, hose quality (flex hose can collapse internally and not be visible from the outside), other connections, seals, etc.

Steve

trjford8    -- 06-12-2020 @ 6:49 AM
  Wait until you get the new carburetor installed and then see what it does.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13884