Topic: '37 Cabriolet Front Assembly Help

uwan2    -- 06-03-2020 @ 11:40 AM
  Good Afternoon:

I'm putting together a 37 Ford Cabriolet for a friend who purchased off someone local. I am fairly convinced I do not have all of the bracing that I need and I am lacking any type of manual that shows how the front of it goes together. I purchased the '37 book available here (nice job on that by the way!). It's helped in some areas of the restoration but unfortunately lacks the detail I need. I see the inner fenders have a channel running diagnal on them. I am curious to know if there is bracing that runs in them? If so I see nowhere on the outer fender that bracing may attach to. Also one theory is that the front of the car is supported by the bumper bracketing. I am a little skeptical of that thought but in restoring a few old cars nothing would surprise me. I would be more than appreciative is someone out here has some firsthand knowledge and wisdom they'd like to impart on a novice early Ford restorer.

Thanks in advance!
Roger

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-04-2020 @ 11:57 AM
  HI 37' Cabriolet
I looked at my 37 78,760A
the inner fender panels have a bracket built in, the front fender has a rear fender brace, and there is a strut
in the front that goes from the inner fender brace to the of the front cross member,on each side,
these struts have a fastened bolt that also, are used for the front splash pan,
I would recommend leaving everything fairly loose till you get the hood and cowl lined up,
you will have to move the nose, also attach the grill also holds it together, you might have to lift the body,
check you door gaps, as you go,
take your time,,,,!!! I think this is the worst part of putting the car together,
GOOD LUCK 37Ragtopman Maine

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-5-20 @ 7:28 AM

uwan2    -- 06-05-2020 @ 3:21 AM
  Ragtopman I very much appreciate the information. It seems documentation wasn't in the forefront of a car makers mind back in 37. Slow is always the key. We just got a '51 GMC pick up back from paint and no one wants to be the first to put a scratch in a fabulous job.

Thanks!

uwan2    -- 06-05-2020 @ 6:27 AM
  Does the front of the car rest on the bumper braces? Curious... they seem to be out of stock and might be difficult to source.

zeke3    -- 06-05-2020 @ 7:11 AM
  The front fenders should not rest on the bumper brackets when everything is installed and properly adjusted. The inner fender that mounts to the frame is what supports the front fender. There is a diagonal brace from the inner fender to the chassis gusset in front of the radiator.

There is also a bracket, 78-16094, that is mounted on the chassis behind the front wheel. This bracket locates and supports the outside lower flange of the fender behind the front wheel. This bracket has very little impact on locating the fender vertically.

I see the bumper brackets show up on e-bay quite frequently if you need a set. You could also place a wanted ad in the classifieds on this forum.

uwan2    -- 06-05-2020 @ 7:58 AM
  Thanks zeke! Great info!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13882