Topic: Rebuilt 53 Merc Flathead

dggohl    -- 05-31-2020 @ 6:52 PM
  I'm just looking for some suggestions. I just rebuilt my 53 Merc Flathead. Bored 30 over, with new pistons, rings, valves, springs, guides the whole works. Looking to upgrade my carburator. Currenty has a teapot. What would you suggest? Remembering that this motor has the automatic choke.

whizzerbug    -- 06-01-2020 @ 4:35 AM
  Rochester 2GC is the upgrade same bolt pattern, you will have to machine the bore to match the larger throttle ports or use an adaptor from speedway

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-01-2020 @ 7:19 AM
  And mount it backwards................
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 06-01-2020 @ 7:56 AM
  If you are working on a 53 Merc, I suggest that you stick with the correct Holley carb. Properly rebuilt, it will give you many years of service without the hassle of working around modified linkage and problems wit the spark control valve. The Holley carburetor and the Mercury distributor were designed to work together and for every day street driving are the best combination for your car.

Tom

dggohl    -- 06-01-2020 @ 8:39 AM
  Thanks Tom, I'm a puruest at heart. I'm leaning on having the T-pot carb rebuilt. I'm wondering if the herky jerky motion I'm experiencing with every shift has something to do with the distributor. Still the original, and not rebuilt.

TomO    -- 06-02-2020 @ 8:53 AM
  I don't have any recommendations on rebuilding the distributor, but be careful about who you do send it to. The advance is done by calibrated springs and vacuum from the port on the distributor. The spring tension must be set on a distributor machine with a calibrated vacuum manometer.

You can do some basic checks on the distributor while it is on the car that will help determine if the distributor needs to be rebuilt. You need a dwell meter and a timing light.

Check point resistance to ensure that the distributor ground circuit is good.
Check point dwell at idle and also at speeds up to 2,000 rpm. The dwell should not vary more than 3 degrees
Set the idle speed to 400-450 rpm, disconnect and plug the vacuum line at the distributor
Connect the timing light and check that the timing mark in the harmonic balancer lines up with the pointer
Connect the vacuum line and increase rpms. The timing light should show an even advance.

If you have a vacuum pump, you can connect it to the vacuum advance and pump it to 7" of vacuum. The diaphragm should hold that vacuum.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 06-02-2020 @ 1:56 PM
  You could also use a 1953 Ford carburetor with an adapter to mount it on your Mercury intake manifold or use a Ford manifold with the Ford carburetor. The '53 Ford carburetor will provide approximately the correct vacuum signal to your distributor. You may have to change the main metering jets in the Ford carburetor to get the correct Fuel/Air ratio for your larger displacement Mercury engine. You will have to purchase a manual choke cable to activate the choke in the Ford carburetor. You can mount the choke control cable under the dash so it will not be too obvious and you won't have to drill a hole through the front of the instrument panel.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13875